Samsung 850 EVO SSD

G

I just purchased the Samsung 850 EVO SSD. I followed the pictorial and hooked the SSD to the USB using a new SATA to USB cable. I inserted the CD and waited for it to load. When the software loaded, it did not show the SSD? It only shows the C: drive and the optical drive. I tried to run the software but it will not recognize the SSD. I tried all the USB ports and all the same. The led for power is lighted on the SSD side of the cable showing it has power but nothing is happening. Nothing I have tried will make the SSD show up. I have an Acer Aspire 4743g i5 8gb mem. Please HELP!
Thanks, John

G

No as I posted I'm using a new cable sata to usb.
What I'm trying to do is to as I posted , I'm trying to transfer my HDD info to my new SSD.
Any Help?
Jwwpapa

PS: This is a LAPTOP not a desktop. There are no plug in ports for power or data on the mother board.

Entomber

Estimable
Apr 21, 2014
if you're trying to transfer data from your existing hdd to a ssd, you can just plug in both to sata cables at the same time to your motherboard.

Also make sure the sata power cable is connected to your SSD (next to the SATA data)

G

Hello Entomber,
I am trying to use the software supplied with the SSD so I can later utilize it's functions and features. The problem I am encountering is the SSD is not showing up on anything.
The functions say it is supposed to recognise the SSD, partition as you request and format also as you request. It is supposed to be very simple to complete any and all functions with this software and is targeted at the Samsung EVO SSD particularly.
It isn't working. It first must recognize the drive to do anything. Even Windows isn't seeing the drive? There isn't anything on the web that I have found to cope with this problem or drive, even Samsung does not address this at all.
What the heck am I doing here. I only wanted to have a little faster drive over the slowly old HDD that is in the laptop. As of now I have rebuilt the laptop from a new screen , keyboard, doubled the memory to 8gb and the next step was to switch the HHD to the EVO SSD. Later I wanted to upgrade the CPU from the current i5 to a new i7 4900. All this to speed it up because I can't afford a new machine with that kind of components inside.
I hope it is some help to you so you can help me now. Please help me to get this rite.
Thanks,
jwwpapa

Entomber

Estimable
Apr 21, 2014
here are the PROPER steps you need to take to do this:
1. plug in a cable to the SATA (data) port of the SSD
2. plug in a power cable to the SATA power cable of the SSD. Without this power cable, it WILL NOT function. You need to have both plugs occupied on the SSD.
3. plug in to your computer
4. Use Samsung Data Migration

If you are trying to use the SSD externally, I would recommend that you purchase an external SATA enclosure instead of that "adapter" that you said.

G

G

Hello Again,
According to my pictorial instructions it shows only one cable from the SSd connector to a USB port of the computer ( same for desktop ). I have made sure that I have power to the SSD through the single cable to the new SSD. As I understand you, I need to purchase yet another cable from the SATA data side of the connection of the new SSD to the USB port and another separate cable to supply the power to the other side of the Sata plug of the new SSD to a wall outlet. Is that correct? As of this time I have nothing on my laptop that shows anything on the new SSD drive. If I have to make that purchase for the two new cables I will, but I have no idea where I will find it here in the Philippines. Maybe I will have to resort to Amazons high shipping cost yet again. OH WELL!!!
jwwpapa

G

Hello,
No not yet I have to find and order the two cables that was suggested I use to fire this thing up. I hope that works, I'm getting tired of messing with this. It was supposed to be an easy upgrade but has turned to be the upgrade from hell. By the way dose anyone know if I can upgrade the CPU and the GPU? He He He..
jwwpapa

G

G

I saw it somewhere in my looking for items for this laptop. I will have to find it again. All it was is a cable to connect the SATA hard drive to a usb port and an additional cable that was for the power side of the SATA connector so you can power the drive. It's claim was an easy way to use any SATA hard drive meant for internal use to transfer info from your current HHD to a new SATA drive. When I find it I will post the info for you to see.
Thanks,
jwwpapa

jyason

Estimable
Apr 11, 2015
My problem was probably the same as yours. I have a Samsung 850 evo 500gb ssd and a sabrent enclosure. I have an asus x550j running Windows 8.1. with a 1tb hdd 5400rpm. I was trying to clone my os so I can replace the hdd with ssd. When I connected the ssd to the enclosure then to usb 3.0 port, it didn't appear in file explorer. Nor the magician and data migration software from the cd provided. I thought there was incompatibility issues with the sabrent enclosure. However I learned somewhere that windows might not have the proper drivers (even if it syas the drivers are up to date). So I found this driver from a lenovo website: http://www.google.com.sg/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=AHCI+controller+driver+for+Microsoft+Windows+8.1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CBoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport.lenovo.com%2Fdownloads%2Fds034629&ei=cp8pVc6GA9CuuQS-lIHQDw&usg=AFQjCNHIwhhpjGEa0DbhCN9MVI_gKt-mtQ

It's a AHCI controller. So I ran the file. Restarted the laptop. The ssd will still not appear in file explorer. When I ran the data migration tool, there were two physical drives both named Samsung evo ssd. Actually one of them is my hdd (because the capacity is around 1tb) and the other one is the actual ssd. So I proceeded to clone my hdd. It took around 31 minutes. After that I took out the hdd from the laptop then replace it with the ssd. It worked! Now my laptop is definitely faster. I mean super fast. Now I put the hdd in the enclosure and will use it to backup my data. I also ran the magician software to optimize the ssd.

G

Acording to the istructions the drive is not to be formated or messed with in any way. It is all supposed to happen through the software. See below for the cable:
Delivered Feb 8, 2015

StarTech.com USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable w/ UASP - SATA to USB 3.0 Converter for SSD/HDD - Hard Drive Adapter Cable
Sold by: Amazon Export Sales, Inc.
$13.75

This was purchased on Amazon as an add on to the Samsung EVO 850 500gb SSD. It is not included with the EVO.
I hope this helps solve my problem at last. I have searched everywhere to find a solution to this problem and I can't find anything at all. Please help me with this.

Also I have a new problem that has halted everything on the laptop.
I deleted a previously made partition I made for Linux Ubuntu and never installed it. So when I deleted the partition everything went and now the system will not boot at all. At first it showed me a message that the system was missing or corrupt and I needed to recover it. I pressed escape to go to the BIOS and when I did it gave me a password screen to enter a password. I have never put a password into this machine ever. Now every time I boot the system it goes direct to this password screen and wont let me do anything or go anywhere else.
Question is WHAT DO I DO NOW? I'm screwed!
Thanks John

squawk1200

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015

I am having exactly the same problem. Usually Samsung is good stuff but the quality here seems to be lacking severely, and I am about 2 seconds away from sending the Samsung 850 500mb SSD and the SATA-USB cable back to Amazon.

How do you create a disk partition in Disk Manager? That did not appear to be an option? (Windows 10 and Dell laptop).

terenz

Estimable
Aug 1, 2015
I just installed the same drive in a Lenovo Yoga 2 11 last week.

1) Attached the drive via a USB-SATA connector (through part of a case for a 2.5" SATA drive)
2) partitioned the drive with disk manager (via control panel)
3) formatted the drive
4) used EASEUS to clone the drive.

Booted up (in 6 seconds to log in) as soon as I powered on.

squawk1200

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
Can you elaborate on how you did that with Disk Manager via Control Panel? I can get to Disk Manager in the Control Panel, and I *think* I can see the SSD but I don't see any options there to format it or create a partition?