Samsung 950 Pro worth the Upgrade

ZeroInfinity

Estimable
Nov 21, 2014
Hi All!

I currently have an OEM SSD as a boot drive, I kinda have spare cash so I can purchase the Samsung 950 Pro, My question is if I use it as my boot drive would I experience real world better performance than the ssd I have currently as a boot drive or should I just save the cash

I also have a 1TB HDD as storage drive

*My laptop supports nvme storage ( pci-e ssds )

Thanks all! :)

Solution
I tried installing the samsung 950 pro ssd on my asus rog g752 vt and i can tell you it was not without difficulty.( apparently lots of folks had issues installing their SSD Pros ) after wasting approximately
24 hours tinkering with Bios settings and installing drivers as well as rebooting countless times and even re setting my machine i finally got the the bottom of the issue....
I left my 1 TB HDD drive in the machine with the original OS after cloning and the system wouldnt boot into the SSD even if i set the bios boot priority / changed to AHCI etc etc.and the system didn't like all that tinkering one bit.

The only things i actually had to do from the outset was;

Install and initialize SSD
Download samsung migration software...

alkpwn77

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015
I would. I had an old intel SSD and when I got the 850 EVO, it was leagues faster than the intel. The 950 Pro is faster than the 850 EVO, so I'd say it's definitely worth it.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Every review of the 950 pro shows that it seems to have no noticeable difference in day to day tasks like opening opening games or making the os feel smoother versus a standard ssd. I have a 950 pro, but that's just cause i like to blow money on computer parts. I havent seen any difference from the xp941 that i was using or the kingston v300 i was using before that.

PeterPK

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

PeterPK

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
I tried installing the samsung 950 pro ssd on my asus rog g752 vt and i can tell you it was not without difficulty.( apparently lots of folks had issues installing their SSD Pros ) after wasting approximately
24 hours tinkering with Bios settings and installing drivers as well as rebooting countless times and even re setting my machine i finally got the the bottom of the issue....
I left my 1 TB HDD drive in the machine with the original OS after cloning and the system wouldnt boot into the SSD even if i set the bios boot priority / changed to AHCI etc etc.and the system didn't like all that tinkering one bit.

The only things i actually had to do from the outset was;

Install and initialize SSD
Download samsung migration software and install
Clone from HDD to SSD
shut down system
remove original 1TB drive
Restart system BOOT in bios set samsung SSD to 1st boot save and restart.( i don't know if this step was even necessary)

this whole thing should have taken not more than 15 minutes, but yes thats how we learn

But.... now that the everything is working like a dream...im totally happy. Boot speeds are awesome. Program load times are really quick. a 'solid ' investment all in all. : - )

Solution