Samsung Announces Ultra High Speed-1 MicroSD Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

everix

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
Awesome, this will go perfectly with the Galaxy S3. No worries about compatibility either since both are coming from Samsung.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I don't care about read speed on tablets and phones. Current gen cards can play HD content just fine, and that's the most storage dependent thing I ever do on them. What I want are high write speeds, that way I can quickly copy a movie to my phone and still catch the train.

everix

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
[citation][nom]xbeater[/nom]I don't care about read speed on tablets and phones. Current gen cards can play HD content just fine, and that's the most storage dependent thing I ever do on them. What I want are high write speeds, that way I can quickly copy a movie to my phone and still catch the train.[/citation] You do realize that higher read speeds are also going to open up the path for more games.

__Miguel_

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
[citation][nom]skaz[/nom]Cool. Weird though, because the picture shows a class rating of 10 on the card. =/[/citation]
That "class 10" is the standard SD card speed classification, and unless the new speed classes completely put aside the old ones, it's actually supposed to be there...

"Class 10" is the highest class of SD cards, on the standard classification. It means the card is capable of at least 10MBps sustained sequential reads and writes. Anything capable of more than that, like the current 25MBps+ Samsung SD and microSD cards, are still Class 10, so until they add Classes 20, 30, 40 and so on, everything above 10MBps will still be a Class 10 card.

Cheers.

Miguel

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
[citation][nom]everix[/nom]You do realize that higher read speeds are also going to open up the path for more games.[/citation]

How so? Tell me what the difference between a C6 and C10 card is for gaming. I'm genuinely curious. I'd rather have a C6 64GB card from SanDisk than a C10 16GB or 32GB card from Samsung just for speed bragging rights. I didn't buy my Droid Razr and drop down $120 for a 64GB flash card upgrade for speed bragging rights or to hope to play Counter Strike one day. Most people care more about storage space than speed on their tablets and smart phones. Bet on it.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]__Miguel_[/nom]That "class 10" is the standard SD card speed classification, .... so until they add Classes 20, 30, 40 and so on, everything above 10MBps will still be a Class 10 card.Cheers.Miguel[/citation]

They have added new speed classes, this is a UHS (ultra high speed) class 1 device, capable of 50-100mb/s transfer rates. The C10 is technically no longer needed, but still listed for nostalgia's sake.

__Miguel_

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
[citation][nom]10tacle[/nom]How so? Tell me what the difference between a C6 and C10 card is for gaming.[citation]
Right now, I would say none, or close to none. But that's mostly because the storage subsystem interconnects are impressively slow on today's mobile CPUs. I believe most of them are basically stuck at around ~20-30MBps.

Going forward, however, those interconnects will receive complete overhauls, which will allow much speedier transfer speeds, which in turn can open up more possibilities on coding mobile games (more/more complex textures, for instance, which require more bandwidth from the storage subsystem).

However, space is a big priority. No questions there.

Cheers.

Miguel

__Miguel_

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]They have added new speed classes, this is a UHS (ultra high speed) class 1 device, capable of 50-100mb/s transfer rates. The C10 is technically no longer needed, but still listed for nostalgia's sake.[/citation]
Ah, that explains it. Thanks for the update, I'm not up-to-speed on new speed classifications.

Miguel

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
[citation][nom]__Miguel_[/nom]Ah, that explains it. Thanks for the update, I'm not up-to-speed on new speed classifications.Miguel[/citation]
thats what the "u" with the 1 inside it is, just left of the 16. The UHS cards also operate at a standard 1.8v as opposed to the 3.3 -> 1.8v switch that happens with standard sdhc and sdxc cards

G

Does this mean Toggle DDR 2.0 NAND flash has finally made it to the market? I have been waiting for this. I imagine it won't take much longer to make it into eMMC, USB drives, and SSD's.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]au_equus[/nom]these should also appeal to users of high end DSLR cameras[/citation]

Maybe but the article only talks about read speeds. The SLR camera will be much more concerned with write speeds. To target my phone/tablet I am less likely to change out the card (than I would on an SLR camera) so capacity is a larger concern. I also fail to see how LTE has anything to do with the card having a high read speed. They are just trying to market it to a "higher end" consumer by using a term they are familiar with meaning high speed.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]zaznet[/nom]Maybe but the article only talks about read speeds. The SLR camera will be much more concerned with write speeds. To target my phone/tablet I am less likely to change out the card (than I would on an SLR camera) so capacity is a larger concern. I also fail to see how LTE has anything to do with the card having a high read speed. They are just trying to market it to a "higher end" consumer by using a term they are familiar with meaning high speed.[/citation]

SD cards aren't exactly known for their high speed in comparison to other Flash storage cards. Do high end cameras like that even use SD cards often? Also, good call on the read versus write speeds there. That's been Flash's main problem, Flash devices usually don't write as well as they read. I know a lot of 32GB Compact Flash cards can write up to 60MB/s before you get into the range of the really overpriced cards, so unless these new SD cards can beat them in price, performance, or both, they seem to be more of a gimmick.

Read speeds will only help for pulling content off of them and although that is nice, write speed seems more important for mobile Flash cards. Read speeds are a lot more important (at least, in my opinion) on SSDs for computers instead of mainly writing devices like Cameras and such.

Also, isn't LTE in this article only referring to the high speed wireless devices that it may go into? At least, that's the impression that the article header gave me:

Samsung has begun the mass production of Ultra High Speed-1 microSD cards which support high performance LTE-enabled smartphones and tablets.

Basically, it seems more like it's just saying that the SD cards are supposed to not bottleneck these devices. Some SD cards are supposed to become capable of also being wireless radios or something like that, so later on it might be in reference to that, but where in this article does it say that LTE and the cards are related beyond the devices that Samsung may have intended for them?

I think it was just saying that the devices with LTE are generally fast devices and that faster storage may improve their performance like an SSD does over an HDD for computers. In this case, read speeds would most definitely be very important.

Status
Not open for further replies.