Samsung Cites Sci-Fi Movies, TV in Apple Tablet Defence

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
they have a damn clear point. Apple didnt invent the idea. I hope apple sues less now with a new CEO, Im tired of all this crap.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Steve Jobs, now you have resigned, do the honourable thing and drop these stupid suits.
You cannot claim to own the shape from something depicted 43 years ago.

Try to reclaim some dignity by becoming a philanthropist, actually don't...

I don't trust you not to try and patent being charitable and sue other charities, ass hat

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Interesting situation. In 1968 it was just a movie prop in a science fiction film. The prop continued to be used in films and television programs. It took over 40 years but the prop became a reality. Unfortunately the Apple version is not up to Starfleet standards. LOL!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i love this.
please tell me that apple gets pattents stripped one by one due to sci fi tv shows, movies, and books, all of which describe apples "innovations" and pattens.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]Interesting situation. In 1968 it was just a movie prop in a science fiction film. The prop continued to be used in films and television programs. It took over 40 years but the prop became a reality. Unfortunately the Apple version is not up to Starfleet standards. LOL![/citation]

True this reminds of Jules Verne he "saw" things over a 100 years before they became a reality.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Seriously? This is the best Samsung can come up with? So what now, those that invent a time machine in the future won't be able to claim a patent because Sci-Fi movies from the 70's showed a time machine?

Stupid.

PhilFrisbie

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Eddieroolz[/nom]Seriously? This is the best Samsung can come up with? So what now, those that invent a time machine in the future won't be able to claim a patent because Sci-Fi movies from the 70's showed a time machine?Stupid.[/citation]
Only if that time machine has a large spinning wheel, a lever to go forwards and backwards, and a mechanical readout for the day/month/year ;)

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Eddieroolz[/nom]Seriously? This is the best Samsung can come up with? So what now, those that invent a time machine in the future won't be able to claim a patent because Sci-Fi movies from the 70's showed a time machine?Stupid.[/citation]
The Apple lawsuit all about the look and feel not it's operational status.
Also.
If you had a time machine you would go back in time an 'invent' everything
Velcro? Mine
Microwave ovens? Mine
WD40? Mine
Duck Tape? Mine
Aspirin? Mine
Penicillin? Mine
Better still you would go forwards in time, see all the cool stuff not invented yet and bring it back and 'invent' all that stuff too

Amen2That

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
A) IF you invent a successful time machine, you could go back to the 60s and claim your patent ;-p

B) With a working time machine, there are SO MANY more interesting possibilities to explore then spending an afternoon at the patent office. If you are simply interested in making money off the patent, you'd be better of say... I don't know... getting a sports almanac detailing the results of major sporting events for the second half of the 20th century.

In your present time, you might not be successful in patenting the concept of traveling back in time with a machine; however, you could patent the mechanisms involved in the construction of said time machine.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Thank god someone is finally point this crap out, a lot of concepts and procedures in the technology field were shown or explained in some kind of literature or artistic fashion, not the invention of the actual industry. I hope this works, it's about time that they stop making money of off ideas that were not their own, yet they try to claim it as if it were. How many people watched some sort of Star Trek show and say "Holy shit, that would be awesome" and the people tried to make something to emulate what they saw?

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Comeon apple haters, despite how ridiculous some of apple's lawsuits are, this is also pretty bad. I mean, really, a movie?? How can you cite a bit of CGI as defense in a lawsuit?

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Remember the original Star Trek communicator? Bare any resemblance to flip phones? Yeah, a lot of technology these days is based off Sci-Fi from the past. Whether it shows up in novels, tv shows or movies, the concept was there long before Apple patented it. Therefore, Apple, your patent is null and void. Thank you and come again.

G

I am no apple fan,especially am against their closed platform.However, they have created
an organisation that has so successfully utilised American innovation ( technical and more importantly creativity) to become the most valuable business model we have seen today.You
can critisize their business tactics but it has worked.I'm not saying follow their principals, but hey at least they have some and they are not hiding them unlike some.
For me ,Steve Jobs lead a company on the brink ,through some of the worst period of financial
crysis post WW2 the world has seen .I am a Vietnamese Australian and can see from this company's example that for as long as they stay true to the American spirit of creativity and innovation they will continue to be a force of influence and power.It's not to say these traits are
unique to Americans.The western world might be in decline however if we hold true to being positive and being innovative in principal, there is no reason why we can't all grow. The way forward for us all is to be creative in thinking and to defend our
democratic way of life that has given rise to nurturing free thinking .

blobos

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I don't get it, there were plenty of other tablets before iPad came out, why does it seem like people think Apple made the first tablet?

Status
Not open for further replies.