Samsung Files Patent for Double-sided Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
I'm having trouble to see the true difference to a single input pane. Looks cool and there may be some niche applications, but other than that I am not so sure what it really buys the user.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
I am pretty sure Tom's had a very similar article, maybe a year ago, about a very similar filed patent, definitely NOT samsung, that also used the other side as another means to control the device...could have been a different site though, my short term memory is....hindered.

Jarmo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Use two hands to make gestures while holding the tablet with a third?

Pinch elements to grab and move them... as long as you don't need to move them too far from the edge.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Wait.. but when you hold it.. wouldn't touching the bottom screw up whatever you were working on? for example, while you pick it up, your hand may touch the bottom screen, this in return would make the tablet do something accidentally.

Still a device i'm interested in, i'd grab one out of curiosity, i hope it runs android!

G

makes some sense considering Samsung are also the pioneer of the transparent display, consider having a scrapbook open on the lower display and using the underside input to highlight and drag clips of website/powerpoint slides/pictures on the upper screen into the scapbook app in the lower screen or maybe for multi tasking where the lower screen displays all running apps in the background and being able to drag and drop from the upper screen to the lower screen

after some practice im sure user would be able to filter and refocus between the upper and lower screens seamlessly, makes a hell lot more sense then a 3d display....

ben55124

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Those wishing for eyes on the back of their head can now add a request for a set of eyes on their laps.

A trackpad on the bottom may work, but 2 displays with only one visible seems like a waste of power.

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]LMAO So how exactly do you HOLD the thing without actually causing an input?!?[/citation]
Haha, yeah :)

Or how do you actually hold the thing while using your both hands to touch the tablet from the both sides?

Maybe with your teeth? :)

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]theuerkorn[/nom]I am not so sure what it really buys the user.[/citation]

Only thing I could think of quickly is presentations where you are viewing the image from one side while you manipulate it and it's showing on the other.

As for the one finger per side the images look like one user and I can't imagine trying to hold this thing stabilized while sliding fingers on opposite sides.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Now we can replace those projector slides with this double-sided tablet. Wonder if Samsung would call this a Green tablet? :D

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
I.. Don't.. compute *BOOM* Why the hell would enlarging a pic using the pinch & zoom gesture be anymore intuitive w/ 2 screens? You can clearly see in the filed patent that they have a finger on the ventral and dorsal sides of the device performing the same pinch& zoom motion as w/ a single screen tablet. I.. just.. don't understand! It's clumsy and stupid, there is nothing here to justify that extra cost.

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
OH Braingasm!! This would LOOK cool it they used the nifty see through screen technology that they had developed couple months back. But that's just form related. THere still isn't any increase in function that I can see.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
However, the iPad's success has shown other manufacturers just how popular the slate design is with computer users, and they're all eager to jump on the bandwagon.

Whaaaa......?!?

Sorry, but both the convertible and slate tablet PC form factor has historically been called a failure when discussing consumer appeal. How many people have you seen using their TC1100? ...or their Motion Computing LE1700? Why did fujitsu drop their Stylistic slate if this form factor is so popular?

Come on, be honest with us - tablets were an utter failure until someone underpowered it and threw an partially eaten piece of fruit on it. Now that its "hip", the media seems to be changing its verdict on slates.

Unolocogringo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Our Arch nemisis apple holds a patent filing for using two fingers to manipulate a touch screen device.
So now everyone must come up with a different approach to manipulation or pay royalties to the rotten fruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.