Samsung Intros Wi-Fi Optical Drive for Streaming, Writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
$130? It's a nice idea, but that amount of cash could provide the framework for a HTPC (especially if you decide to use Linux instead of Windows to view your movies). Plus, with a price like that it really feels like it should include Blu-ray. Awesome product idea, but it's basically a router smashed together with an optical drive. And considering you can pick up both of those components for $50 it would be a no-go for many including myself.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Seriously, all that development money and we get a remove DVD Player / Burner ?
Hard drives are at a TB size and they try to sell 4;7GB... prob. with USB 2.0
No thanks even at half the price.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]$130? It's a nice idea, but that amount of cash could provide the framework for a HTPC (especially if you decide to use Linux instead of Windows to view your movies). Plus, with a price like that it really feels like it should include Blu-ray. Awesome product idea, but it's basically a router smashed together with an optical drive. And considering you can pick up both of those components for $50 it would be a no-go for many including myself.[/citation]

You have some flawed logic there...

1. $130 for "the framework for an HTPC"? More like: it will buy you the chassis, haha. That's just like saying "own your own gaming PC for only $100 (processor, graphics card, storage and memory sold separately)".
2. You are more than welcome to try and "smash" together a router and an optical drive (only) for $50 and make it work the same as this. In the meantime, I will be wizzing by on my flying pig. Let me know if you want a lift...

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I have a hard time believing that there's a market for this, but Samsung seems intent on covering every niche market, so I guess why not.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
DVD? Really? Why not Blu-ray?

a USB port for adding additional flash-based cloud storage

Is this USB port actually limited to flash-based devices, or could you attach a USB HDD to it? That would seriously improve its function.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Interesting idea, but with only 1 disc at a time, you have to get up and put the next disc in. what would be very interesting is if they had this device with HDD storage as well, and maybe automatically rip movies to the device, at least for caching purposes. How would this device stream the same video to 3 devices simultaneously?

G

How else are you going to connect a cd/dvd drive to your Andriod tablet?

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
They probably didn't make it blu ray because of the headaches of requiring to update firmware just to play back media. Additionally the software to play back blu ray is somewhat restricted. If I had the money I'd give VLC developers the cash for a Blu Ray licence and drives in a heartbeat.

I agree with jgutz2006, if this device had the option to rip the content i.e. produce an AVI or MKV it would be very useful. However I know from experience trying to automate this and get effective rips is non trivial. This device is also useful for say netbooks that often don't have an optical drive.

I guess it would need a memory buffer to serve multiple devices content. That's not without it's own problems however.

Also can we stop this garbage about local network storage devices being Cloud?

G

This Devices seems nice and all, but it lost me as soon as they mentioned DVD and CD

Status
Not open for further replies.