samsung laptop not recognizing DVD drive after replacing HDD

Apr 6, 2018
I recently had to replace my laptop's HDD, because the old one died unexpectedly. now I cannot get the drivers to install for my DVD player, and it's driving me nuts. laptop is a samsung brand running windows 7, the model number is NP-QX411-W02UB and the driver in question is listed as TSSTcorp CDDVDW SU-208AB ATA Device. I have tried running the troubleshooter, uninstall/reinstall from device manager, modifying the registry as directed in the microsoft KB for people having this issue after going to windows 10, running SFC scan, attempting to find the driver using drivertalent (which I use frequently, so I own the "pro" version of), and, of course, rebooting A LOT. anyone have any other ideas? unfortunately the samsung site is no help, since it keeps redirecting me back to the main downloads page as soon as I enter my model number, and I have had nothing but bad experiences and wasted time trying to get help from samsung tech support with other issues, so I don't intend to try it again.

Solution
Well if the drive works, but it says there isn't a DVD I would try a different DVD. That can happen. If it still doesn't notice any DVD inserted, then it could just be hardware issues.
Apr 6, 2018

well, somehow after giving up and going to bed last night, today I start it back up and the dvd drive is showing up in "computer" again, and device manager says it's working properly, but it still doesn't recognize that there's a dvd in there :(