Samsung LCD TV with no video and high pitched sound

morganj

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Hi,

I have a Samsung LN40A550 LCD TV which I have had for just over a year. Warranty is one year LOL. Well heres my problem. I was watching TV yesterday and all of a sudden the picture went all crazy, it was multiple colours with vertical or horizontal lines and the sound went to a loud high pitched noise. After about 30 seconds the picture and sound went back to normal. I used my TV without any problems 3 or 4 times since then, but when I go to turn it on this morning the TV powers on correctly and has the power on sound, but immediately after that their is no video and a high pitched sound. I tried disconnecting all devices from the TV, tried alternative power source. The TV is normally connected to a surge protector.

Any leads as to what may be wrong? I have scoured google for any similar problems but came up with only one similar instance saying its a blown capacitor.

Thanks,

Morgan

EDIT: I was not very clear on the audio. It is LOUD and high pitched almost sounds like its screaming lol

morganj

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
I was getting the green vertical lines too before the problem became too serious. The problem was intermittent too for some time and just unplugging it and plugging it back in would get the TV to load up properly.

I managed to fix this problem myself although I have no idea what fixed it. I did a firmware upgrade when I was able to get the TV to load up on the TV and it seemed to work for awhile. The problem then returned a few weeks later. I took apart the TV disconnected all the connections on the boards and could not find any problem with the capacitors. I put it all back together, confused and worried my TV was a giant paperweight. I plugged it back in and still had the problem. I left it unplugged for about 2 weeks then I plugged it back in just to see if I could get it to work and the TV turned on no problem. It has been working since then without any hiccups. This TV has seen some heavy use since then.

sonny10

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Thanks for the reply. Just wondering if you were you getting a high pitched buzzing sound that is so loud you have to turn it off immediately? We had vertical green lines and now we have nothing but a a black screen with a very very loud high pitched almost alarm/buzzing sound. The t.v. takes a few minutes to acutally turn on and then when it does, the screen is still black and we immediately get that extremely loud high pitched buzzing sound. You have to turn it off immediately, its so oud. I'll try and do exactly what you have done too. Would love to get some heavy use from our t.v. Its not even 3 years old yet, but just curious if you experienced the black screen and noise too. Hoping it will be fixable. Thanks for the info and reply again. Ellen

morganj

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
symptoms are similar but not the same. Mine wouldn't take a few minutes to turn on. It would just start doing the high pitched very loud noise about 3 seconds after turning the power on. It would make the usual samsung power on sound then immediately start screeching loud with nothing on the screen. Other than that, your symptoms sound similar. I have read a lot on bad capacitors and the TV taking a long time to turn on is usually a sign of bad capacitors.

morganj

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
My TV is still working. Haven't had any problems since those problems almost 2 years ago now. I guess letting the capacitors drain for those few weeks and reseating all the connections fixed it for me. I did not replace any capacitors in my TV, just took the boards apart and all connections apart and put it back together. I also removed and remounted the boards.

jemp75

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Samsung replaced my caps 2 weeks ago. i then got the symptoms described in this forum again (green lines, can see picture behind, loud screeching, 2-5 times to power cycle before acting normal and then working fine for hours). i got a t-con board on shopjimmy.com for $34 and got the symptoms again. hopefully it's not the lcd panel itself. i guess the only things left are the main board or inverter board. pndering on switching out inverter board.

BranK

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013

Did you ever find out whether it was the inverter or the main board? I have the same issue and and wondering which to purchase. Thanks

jemp75

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

i suspect the main board, but have not gone any further. really, when we want to watch tv, we turn on the tv about 5 minutes prior and then when we come back, it's fine (after a few power cycles and colorful screens, but not the screeching so often). also, make sure no inputs are active - they (apple tv or xfinity hd box) seem to raise the probability of the screeching if they are on and the tv is 'warming up.' nobody has main boards in stock for less than $200 up front (minus $50 for core deposit when you return the old board) for my version.

tpeter

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

I am having the same problem... It mostly does it when the HDMI from the Ps3 is on.. I can turn the TV on for 10 minutes let warm up then turn on the PS3 and most of the time its fine..

I would like to fix it though... Has anyone found out if its the mainboard?

jemp75

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

jemp75

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
MAIN BOARD! it works, just not getting the full 16:9 screen, which i am now trouble shooting. it is nice to not have to wait. got it on shopjimmy.com for $89 which was about a 2 month wait. make sure you buy the board for your version (mine was SQ01) hence the long wait for the only replacement specified.

relish

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014

relish

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014
I don't have an answer however the screeching noise was coming from the TV so I thought but my TV was replaced this morning. Greay screen, installed new TV and noise started again however didn't blow up the TV. My Son says it's coming from the surge protector and not the TV. I'm going to replace the power strip and hope for the best. After buying a new TV (Vizio) to replace same that was 7 years old I hope to solve the issue and I'm convinced it was the power strip, good $60 Belkin protector>?????

kevinm34232

Estimable
Apr 25, 2014
Repair service on Ebay should fix your issue:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-LN46A550P3FXZA-REPAIR-SERVICE-Loud-Screeching-TV-Cycling-On-and-OFF-/141487189866?pt=US_TV_Boards_Parts_Components&hash=item20f14b2f6a

0REDSOX7

Estimable
Dec 2, 2014
So here's a question.

I have an LN40A550 with the described issue - and is getting worse daily.

Here's where I get stumped. Directv connected via HDMI causes this issue. Turn in BluRay player via HDMI port - and no issue at all.

I can swap the HDMI cables from port to port without issues and get the same results.

Still think it's the TCON board? The TV is from 2008, so I am okay replacing it with something newer if I really have to.

ecsgrove

Estimable
Feb 12, 2015
Been dealing with this for awhile now. Started with turning on with noises, taking maybe 1-2 self restarts to gain regular picture(about 2-3 mins). Now it can take up to 40 mins to turn on...Really getting sick and tired of it. However, it only happens with HDMI inputs because when I play my original xbox under component 1 there is not an issue.

me27513

Estimable
Sep 15, 2015
SOLVED - needed a new motherboard, not a new TV.

I, too, experienced fuzzy lines and a loud screech whenever I turned on my 5 year old Samsung TV (37" LED 550 series). After a few seconds, the noise would go away and the TV would look normal. Over the course of a month or so, it gradually got worse. I didn't really want to buy a new TV, so I investigated fixing it. I called Samsung and asked about the class action suit, but it was settled back in 2012 and no longer active. They then sent me to an authorized repair shop. They said they only handle TVs still under warranty. Another repair shop wanted $150 to take a look plus labor and parts.

After reading many responses and chasing down potential solutions, I finally found a TV repair guy on Craig's List to diagnose the problem for $30. After checking all the cable connections and removing the back of the TV, he said he was 90% certain it was the main board. He also said TVs should last a lot longer than 5 years. He even found a replacement board on eBay for me which I ordered myself for $60 from electroparts_warehouse. It was an exact match to the board's ID# in my TV.

Samsung 37" LN37A550P3FXZA BN94-01723G Main Video Board MotherBoard Unit

He even showed me how to install it myself, but I opted to have him come back and do it for me. Voilà! TV is perfect once again for ~$100. If it had cost more, I might have opted for a new TV, but just researching and comparing them takes time, so it was worth it to me to fix it.

d1martin

Estimable
Nov 8, 2015
We bought our Samsung 50" in 2008 or 2009, and it worked fine for years. In September 2013 it started doing this screech and lined screen freeze on occasion. Got worse last year, and I figured out it mostly occurred when there was an actual signal coming in. If I leave it on the dormant Roku, it didn't happen when the TV was powered up, As long as I waited 4-5 minutes, I could then use it anywhere. Today it started the screechy thing in the middle of the afternoon, hours after turning it on. Then just happened again, and so I came to search for it. I will look into getting a mother board, as indicated.