Samsung NP300E5C RAM Upgrade Help (RAM won't fit).

Totempole

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Hi, I'm trying to upgrade the RAM on an old SAMSUNG NP300 laptop. It currently has 2GB of PC10600 DDR3 installed.

I wanted to add a SAMSUNG branded 4GB PC10600 module into the second slot, but it seems to be keyed differently on the left and right edges.

Am I missing something, or just being too careful? It really looks like this RAM won't fit in this slot without excessive force.

The ivory colored slot where the 2GB module is inserted appears to have different retention clips than the second (black) slot.

I would imagine that I could probably remove the 2GB module and put the 4GB in its place if all else fails, but I'd prefer to be able to keep the 2GB module in as well.

The module itself lines up perfectly with the keying in the slot, but the grooves on the left and right appear to be too high for the retention clips.

Any advice in this regard would be much appreciated. Thanks,

Solution

Thanks, jarotec.

I tried again with a little more force and was able to seat it correctly. I was just being overly careful.
Hi, in the user guide it is written : "Insert a new memory module into the memory slot at an angle of approximately 30 degrees aligning it to the angle of
the memory slot. Push the memory module down so that it is completely fixed. If the memory does not fit easily, push the memory module down while pulling the memory module latches outward."

Here is the User Guide : http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/NP300E5C-A0AUS#

Totempole

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

Thanks, but that's exactly what I tried to do. With the ivory colored slot, it's easy, but with the second black slot, the module won't line up properly, even with moderate force. Below is a picture of what my Laptop's motherboard looks like. As you can see, for some reason the black slot has different clips to the ivory slot.

In the manual, two ivory slots are shown.

BA92-10501A-BA92-10501B-Mainboard-For-Samsung-NP300E5C-BA41-01978A-BA41-01977A-BA41-01979A-Laptop-Motherboard.jpg

Totempole

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

Thanks, jarotec.

I tried again with a little more force and was able to seat it correctly. I was just being overly careful.

Solution