Samsung NP550P5C-T01US Bricked

Natcher26

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
During a firmware upgrade my laptop ibricked. Nothing but power lights are working. I am thinking the BIOS wad erased or "messed up" during the firmeare upgrade. Tried jumpping i,t not sure if I did it correctly. I saw whwer I can buy a preprogrammed BIOS chip. If I install this my it fix the problem. If so where exactly is the BIOS chip on the Mclaren Motherboard. Any other suggestions before I just buy a new mothrboard. Thanks Cgris G.

hans_pcguy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
There are potentially other ways to get it back. I have never seen a removable or socketed cmos chip (bios) on a laptop. They are soldered in. But even the soldered in ones can potentially be replaced. You would need to be very good with a soldering iron. I have done this fine of soldering under 10x magnification. Give me more info on exactly how the firmware upgrade went wrong. When you say you tried jumping it, do you mean resetting the bios with a jumper? Where did you get the instructions for that. How did you do it?

Natcher26

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013

Was running firmware upgrade thru Samsung download web site. Left computer when I cam back it was dead. I think it lost power while updating. I fouund insrtuctions on jumpping online. There are two contact points on the motherboard listid "BIOS Crisis". I bridged then with a pair of tweasers. both with ac power and no ac power. I also reseatted RAM chips and HDD. Tried holding the power button for long time. When I mean "dead"; no fan, no sound form hard drive, no signs of any power to screen. Just power button light, and power on LED on front of unit. I'll try to solder a new BIOS chip on before I buy a motherboard. Problem is ther are two chips that could be the BIOS and i cant find a manual for the motherboard. I took it to two computer repair shops and both wanted to replace the motherboard. here has to be a eaiser cheaper way.

Nov 16, 2014

I have the same problem. I also find the solution you mentioned. But i don't have the bios firmware to test it. You have to bridge the crisis button, but have also a pen-drive with the firmware attached to the computer.
I hope that i don't have to chance the chip or buy a new board.