Samsung Offers Apple Deal to End Australian Legal Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Apple is afraid to go head to head with a major powerhouse of the industry like Samsung. If they fought it out in the market arena with prices and features Samsung would win by a landslide. Samsung can build every part of the Galaxy Tab in house, Apple has to sub contract to a lot of different vendors.

G

@rpgplayer
You are delusional, Apple has been going head to head with major PC powerhouses their entire history. I think Apple has a legitimate beef with Samsung copying the IPad.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
@JFo No, you're wrong, I'm sorry to say.

You see, the pictures that you so often see are those of what's called the Launcher on both devices.
The Tab doesn't display that all the time- in fact, it's a secondary part of the Tab's internal programming (that is, Android). Front and center are the widgets.
And I'm sorry, but icons on a desktop should not be patentable. Which is what the Launchers are, be it iOS, webOS, Android, Windows, or Mac OS- there's no way around that.

As for Apple, that's the only thing that their machine does- its app launcher is about all the OS actually does (other than settings).
Android, on the other hand, has multitudes of things on its home screens- widgets being first and foremost in that line.

But Samsung's implementation (as with all Android devices) goes above and beyond that.

Unfortunately, no court can see that. Therefore the customer loses, and those who would improve Apple's implementations also do that.

You know, I think Apple fears a Microsoft- remember way back when the GUI was developed? Apple took the ideas from Xerox PARC. So did Microsoft. But Microsoft did it better than Apple, and you can see where the Mac is today.

But now, Apple has learned to sue everything that could pose a threat to them (not their superiority, because the iPad is not a superior tablet in and of itself). So either a court needs to teach them a lesson that the better product (that is, the Tab) should win, or risk losing innovation.

But what I want to see is Windows 8 tablets arrive and I want to see how Apple responds. Since Microsoft also has large legal guns that have shrugged off anti-trust lawsuits in the past, it would be interesting to see them used.

kasugurami

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Old news: Korean news site reported that Samsung's position on head-on court battle against Apple have not changed.

santfu

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
LuckyDucky7 if i could thumb you up twice i would.You should be careful though what you write is awfully close to objective truth and reasoned argument i think you'll be going over the heads of people who buy and use apple products

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]rpgplayer[/nom]Apple is afraid to go head to head with a major powerhouse of the industry like Samsung. If they fought it out in the market arena with prices and features Samsung would win by a landslide. Samsung can build every part of the Galaxy Tab in house, Apple has to sub contract to a lot of different vendors.[/citation]

Samsung would know what to build or sell (just like most of the android world would not know what to build or sell) if it were not for apple. Apple has every right to protect it IP. Check this link for what tablets looked like before and after the iPad.

http://gdeluxe.com/tablets-before-and-after-ipad/

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]JFo[/nom]@rpgplayerYou are delusional, Apple has been going head to head with major PC powerhouses their entire history. I think Apple has a legitimate beef with Samsung copying the IPad.[/citation]

I can only give you one thumbs up. Moron's outnumber me (and you). So, I can quote you and get you back on the grid. :)

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]tmshdw[/nom]I can only give you one thumbs up. Moron's outnumber me (and you). So, I can quote you and get you back on the grid. :)[/citation]

You're among the morons if you think that thumbs up or thumbs down matter.

That said, if you think that Apple has a legitimate beef with Samsung, too, you definitely deserve a thumb-down, just for the sake of it... *click* :lol:

law shay

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]@JFo No, you're wrong, I'm sorry to say.You see, the pictures that you so often see are those of what's called the Launcher on both devices.The Tab doesn't display that all the time- in fact, it's a secondary part of the Tab's internal programming (that is, Android). Front and center are the widgets.And I'm sorry, but icons on a desktop should not be patentable. Which is what the Launchers are, be it iOS, webOS, Android, Windows, or Mac OS- there's no way around that.As for Apple, that's the only thing that their machine does- its app launcher is about all the OS actually does (other than settings).Android, on the other hand, has multitudes of things on its home screens- widgets being first and foremost in that line.But Samsung's implementation (as with all Android devices) goes above and beyond that.Unfortunately, no court can see that. Therefore the customer loses, and those who would improve Apple's implementations also do that.You know, I think Apple fears a Microsoft- remember way back when the GUI was developed? Apple took the ideas from Xerox PARC. So did Microsoft. But Microsoft did it better than Apple, and you can see where the Mac is today.But now, Apple has learned to sue everything that could pose a threat to them (not their superiority, because the iPad is not a superior tablet in and of itself). So either a court needs to teach them a lesson that the better product (that is, the Tab) should win, or risk losing innovation.But what I want to see is Windows 8 tablets arrive and I want to see how Apple responds. Since Microsoft also has large legal guns that have shrugged off anti-trust lawsuits in the past, it would be interesting to see them used.[/citation]

@JFO may be wrong.

Yet still you are only half-right.

You are right about widgets, Launcher being not important to many Android users.

But Mac UI is technically not inferior to Windows'. The fact is ... Linux UIs are the far and foremost the most advanced and both (nowadays, not their first couple of years) windows and mac are copying gnome and KDE.

However, Microsoft made better decision with the placement of PC (and Windows) than Apple and Microsoft ruled the PC market.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]tmshdw[/nom]Samsung would know what to build or sell (just like most of the android world would not know what to build or sell) if it were not for apple. Apple has every right to protect it IP. Check this link for what tablets looked like before and after the iPad.http://gdeluxe.com/tablets-before-and-after-ipad/[/citation]

personal taste here, but i love penable tablet devices. and am a proponent for a wacom tablet.

personally, i hate the way the ipot touch, iphone, ipad have no real buttons aside from home...

when the things crash bad, and i have had that happen, and will not respond to anything, i wish there was switch to power them off outright.

you should also know that the ones with handles, were heavy and early models. basically full laptops, and i would honestly appreciate a handle on the tablets as i dont want to drop one. also see that brief case one top row far right, i am betting money that one can fall from 2-3 feet and not break into 1000's of glass shards.

rhangman

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Case started off with something like 13 alleged patent infringements. It is now down to only 2. So we've come from Apple claiming that Samsung slavishly copied the iPad to only 2 minor patents and that is only alleged, could end up 0.

Only win Apple has had so far is in Germany and that was based on the 2004 Community Design which looks nothing like the iPad. If Apple really believed that the SGT was a copy of the iPad2, then they would have used the iPad2 CD. They didn't, because they don't look anywhere near similar enough for Apple to win. Also remember Apple lost in the Netherlands based on the same 2004 CD. So even on that they are only 50/50. 0 if Samsung or someone else get the CD invalidated, which is reasonably likely based on what the Dutch court said.

Samsung's smart phone market share has gone up something like 600% in 1 year. Apple is worried that they will achieve similar growth with tablets. Since Apple's profit comes by far from tablet and phone sales (close to 50% just from the iPhone), Apple is seriously worried about Samsung.

Should also note that the original number of patents weren't all dropped to changes Samsung made. Apple dropped their swipe to unlock patent since they know it won't stand up. Fair chance that it and other patents will be ruled invalid if pushed.

Be interesting to see what happens when the iPhone 5/4S are announced. If Samsung, HTC, VIA, S3, etc. gets them blocked, then there goes most of Apple's income.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]rhangman[/nom]Be interesting to see what happens when the iPhone 5/4S are announced. If Samsung, HTC, VIA, S3, etc. gets them blocked, then there goes most of Apple's income.[/citation]

If the iPhone 5 gets blocked then I'm saying fuck them both and grabbing the Nokia N9.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I don't think Apple will respond to this deal. They already have a victory in a huge market under their belt, so it's only a matter of time until Samsung gets banned in Australia as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.