Samsung Passes Apple for No.1 Spot in Smartphone Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Wow, what an accomplishment! Samsung sells 50 different models of handsets, most of which are free, and it finally eclipsed a company that actively sold 2 models in the quarter right before it was due to release a delayed product.

Congratulations!

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Uhmmmm[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Wow, what an accomplishment! Samsung sells 50 different models of handsets, most of which are free, and it finally eclipsed a company that actively sold 2 models in the quarter right before it was due to release a delayed product.Congratulations![/citation]

Phones are never free they are subsidized by the retailer. So, a free samsung phone is paid for by AT&T, Verizon, or whoever is selling it. Samsung gets it's money either way.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Wow, what an accomplishment! Samsung sells 50 different models of handsets, most of which are free, and it finally eclipsed a company that actively sold 2 models in the quarter right before it was due to release a delayed product.Congratulations![/citation]

The apple fan is trying really hard to keep his reality from crumbling. So we'll just wait for more sales data.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Samsung sells a ton of different smart phone's. Ranging from droid to wp7, they even still sell pre Galaxy S1 devices where I live (the really crappy droids lol). Probably 75% of their phones are free. Like said earlier, it's not an accompishment

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Wow, I thought apple was more than 14% of the market. My impression from the people around me is that they would have at least a mid 20% of things. I guess apple phones will go the way of apple computers being a very small niche market.

Come to think of it; I dont know anyone who owned a Samsung phone...

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]bin1127[/nom]The apple fan is trying really hard to keep his reality from crumbling. So we'll just wait for more sales data.[/citation]

This droid fan is trying really hard to make himself feel good, by putting down the apple fan. He gains satisfaction through the market share in the mobile phone sector

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]Wow, I thought apple was more than 14% of the market. My impression from the people around me is that they would have at least a mid 20% of things. I guess apple phones will go the way of apple computers being a very small niche market.Come to think of it; I dont know anyone who owned a Samsung phone...[/citation]

These are global numbers. I suspect the numbers are vastly different if you focus on NA, but that isn't the point of this article.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]bin1127[/nom]The apple fan is trying really hard to keep his reality from crumbling. So we'll just wait for more sales data.[/citation]

It's not even that I like Apple products, but that this is a meaningless statistic. It's like saying that Wal-Mart had more sales volume than Macy's. The more surprising statistic is that Apple was ever able to have the number 1 spot in the first place...

...but I don't expect you to understand grown up matters, not when you have so many Pokemon left to catch!

stryk55

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009

Its in the article, buddy - Samsung sold more phones than Apple did. That doesn't make getreal's point any less valid, especially if you consider what the price difference is in the phones (usually about $50 on Verizon's website). If Apple is making an extra $50 per phone, then is it really a big deal if Samsung surpassed them?

[citation][nom]winner4455[/nom]You know you're doing things right when your market share triples![/citation]

23% isn't triple of 9.3%, my friend...read the chart in the article.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]UhmmmmPhones are never free they are subsidized by the retailer. So, a free samsung phone is paid for by AT&T, Verizon, or whoever is selling it. Samsung gets it's money either way.[/citation]

And how much do these "free" phones cost Joe Consumer when he "buys" two for his ten year old brat kids, rather than dumping $100+ on one of the two Apple phones?

Apple is, has been, and always will be a differentiator and nothing else when it comes to strategy. Samsung is filling the role of low-cost and best-cost provider, so if it isn't leading in marketshare, it is doing something wrong.

G

[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]Why? Do you own Samsung stock?[/citation]

@STravis, If you want to take a bunch of negatives you say something like this. No one could even say that Steve jobs was a great guy in these comments. I tried before.

Status
Not open for further replies.