Samsung Smart TV Network Connection Issue UN60ES8000

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkyst3

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
I'm finding many threads on this site and across the internet regarding network connection issues with Samsung tvs. Unfortunately, I've only found one site which actually discusses the issue I'm having but no solution was found (http://www.experthelp.com/question/726072/have-a-samsung-un60es8000-cannot-get-on-internet-as-soon-as-the-network-come-up-the-tv-rejects-or-get-rid-of-it-the-signal-is-very-strong-just-had-a-commericialwireless-point-installed). The rest of the threads and sites pertain to issues that I'm not experience. So, here is my description of the issue I'm experiencing and I apologize for not using correct language.

I have a Samsung UN60ES8000 that will no longer connect to wireless router. I discovered this by trying to get on Netflix or other app and it gave me network connection error with option to go to network settings. I've had the tv almost 2yrs and has always connected to the same router, which is operating fine and other devices in the house are connected to it without issues. When I go thru Network Settings to re-set up the wireless network, it will search for networks and will only display my network (none of the other wifi networks nearby like it used to) for about 1 second and then the entire menu disappears. 2days ago I called Samsung support who confirmed my firmware is the latest version (version 001056), they had me try manually entering DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 but this did not solve anything as many other threads have said this resolves connection issues. Also, before calling Samsung, I tried to mirror the tv IP settings to reflect those of my laptop or other devices which connect to my wireless network just fine, but this did not work either. Finally, they wanted to try resetting the tv back to factory settings. After doing this and going thru the initial tv setup questions, the tv seemed to find and connect to my network again (don't recall seeing any of the nearby networks on the list though). I was so happy to finally have it fixed! But, the following morning I tried getting on smart hub to listen to Pandora and once again the network connection issue was back. Sure enough it was not connecting, when going thru the network setup it would only display my router (none of the nearby networks) for 1 second (maybe even less) and the entire menu would disappear or close. I tried same steps (manually enter dns and reset tv again), but the network connection failed to show my network after the reset. Also a note on the reset, I noticed the TV says this option will reset the tv to factory settings but network settings will not be affected. Since the network is the issue I'm having, is there a reset option that does reset network connections/settings? I repeated all the steps that Samsung had me do the night before at least a couple times, but still no luck. I don't understand how to get resolved if I have latest version of firmware. I tried downloading the firmware to usb anyways, just to reinstall in case it was corrupt on the tv, but Samsung's website does not have the newest version available for download. They only have version 1054.4 and when I spoke to Samsung two days ago, they said my version (version 1056) is the latest version. I tried downloading the older version (1054.4) anyways at http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN60ES8000FXZA (thinking it would just update to the newest version later), but when I tried updating on the tv, it said no update files could be found on the usb device. This might be a whole other issue and maybe some different attempts may work but I'd rather just try posting online where so many have provided feedback/solutions to similar issues. I don't know why the reset would solve the problem one day, then the next morning it was back to not working and resetting the tv again does not fix the problem like it did the day before.

Just to reiterate the problem and steps I've taken so far - Problem: Won't connect to wifi, network settings menu on tv disappears immediately after searching for networks. Firmware version is 1056, tried manually entering DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (neither worked), then reset tv to factory settings. The reset solved the issue, but was back to not working the following day and no longer works when I try resetting again.

G

I'm having the exact same. It' just stopped connecting to internet from apps only, but i can use browser on TV to browse internet. So it's not the problem with internet connection. It's to do some software issue on TV. My software is up to date. Samsung wake up or face to the fury

cass54321

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015

Same issue began today for me. Internet was connected but not working with my apps, however, the web browser was working. That DNS number also solved my issue! Thank you!

Update: Netflix still does not work because it says all the Netflix servers are not working. I went back to the web browser to access Netflix and now it redirects to PlaymoTV?

Update #2: 10 minutes later it is no longer working. Very strange.

Update #3: Now everything is not working, including the web browser. I even changed back the DNS. Giving up for the night.

kvvus

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015

Works for me too!!!
Many thanks :)

Darren Tarrant

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015
The issue seems to be with Samsungs smart hub server(s). When your TV says it can connect to your network but not to the internet what it actually means is "I can't connect to the samsung hub server".

This happened back in February and affected samsung smart TVs globally.

Messing about with any settings on your TV, apart from the DNS server is likely not to fix the issue and could cause other issues.

I didn't realise until today that the smart hub TVs connect to a samsung server and this forwards requests to say netflix, youtube etc. Seems a pretty crummy system design to me but that's how it is.

For today's issue I changed my DNS server setting to manual and used the 213.5.182.117 address given by c1a1re and it solved the issue (for now).

** Update: 213.5.182.117 only worked 'once' and no longer works as a fix for me.

I tried the 4.2.2.1 address and that worked, but only after I changed the address and then turned the TV off at the plug. It also seems to be a bit flaky and the issue comes back every now and then.

anonymous4928

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015
I tried the new 213.5.182.11 DNS server. It worked to get the TV to connect to both the router AND the internet connection. I was so happy. When I went to load Netflix, it kept giving me errors though. Pandora and Amazon Prime Video would work, but not Netflix. I tried restarting the TV and now I am back to the same issue again of the TV connecting to the router BUT NOT having an internet connection.

Update: I tried the fix in the link below. Essentially all I did was update my DNS Server to 4.2.2.1. This time I shut down my TV and turned it back on before trying Netflix. The app made me log in to my account again but now it is working!!

https://downtoday.co.uk/samsung-smart-tv-dns-error-and-hub-problems/

andybrown1000

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015
I have just found this thread and I'm so pleased I did because I was going mad. My UE46es8000 (UK Model) started having problems only today, can connect to router but not the internet. It makes no difference if on wifi or Lan cable, same problem.
The clue came when I did a software update and just for a laugh I tried it over the internet, and it did it! Version 002017 now installed, how if it's not connected how did it do that ? Mind you still same problem. Been changing DNS and wires and kicking the router, still no joy.

It's the samsung hub servers that are down and that's why it wont work. Guess we need to give it a few hours for them to reboot and kick all for nothing.

Good luck people - spread the word.

pace

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015
Same problem here guys started a few hours ago in UK - with a UE55F6740 Samsung Smart TV and I have a Sky router.

"Connected to network OK, but no internet"..

I'm an IT engineer and had tried everything...

- connecting over wired ethernet
- connecting via wireless
- multiple reboots of everything
- static IP in the TV
- making sure TV was not blocked in firewall
- updating firmware on Samsung TV to 2105 latest (and yes samsung I updated the firmware over the internet via the TV.. with apparently no internet - figure that one out..)
- changing DNS to google's public DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

I even tethered my goddam phone's 4G connection to the TV and it still couldn't get internet (even on a completely different network, different ISP, DNS etc..)

So nothing made a difference.

HOWEVER, I stumbled on people changing their DNS in this thread and tried the 213.5.182.117 address.. and although that still didn't work...

I am now using OpenDNS DNS address: 208.67.222.222 and it WORKS. Praise the lord

PittsburghFan

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015
From twitter...

it’s the ns11.whois.co.kr dns record causing probs.

Most DNS 'fixes' will fail as DNS is refreshed over 24 hours. Samsung has to fix this themselves...

What if my Samsung laptop stopped working if this happened too... Poor programming...

pace

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015

Very curious. At least the OpenDNS DNS I posted above works for now as they must have cached the correct record :)

I've found a the register article talking about and explaining this very same problem from February if anyone's interested:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/26/samsung_sony_tv_outage/

DennisY

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015
Wish I could get to the DNS again. Did a factory reset and was able to get the TV to recognize the wireless networks in the area. Selected mine, entered the password and drum roll please...it failed to connect. Now it no longer sees any networks at all. This just started today for me. The TV worked fine on Friday night when I watched a show on Netflix. Pretty crazy to have this happen and for so many to be having the same problem.

Gramercy912

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015
I'm in U.S. with a Samsung 5500 and just experienced loss of internet connectivity. Tried all suggested solutions noted here (many thanks tho!), including software update, to no avail.

Per Samsung Customer Service tonight, use DNS code 208.67.222.222 (Manual setting). That worked for me.

Was on hold for 30 minutes, so try this code first before experiencing that!

Jatgirl

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015

I read through this whole thread when our tv had the "connected to router but not the internet" message today. The other DNS addresses provided here did not work, but 208.67.222.222 has. Thank you for sharing this solution!

Anon1209

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015

I have a 2014 un40h5500af (in Ohio) which was connecting to the router but not the Internet. Setting the DNS to 4.2.2.1 worked for now.

Tazzi

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015
My model UN60F8000BF just quit today, thing is I use a Media Bridge (If I connect my laptop to the Media Bridge all works fine)
I get the same error "Connected to the Network but not the Internet" ... DNS crap BS
But It is allowing me to download an update ... Hmm (How can I download an update if I'm not connected to the internet?)
WTF

evolude

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015
My model (PN51E7000FF), just stopped connecting to the wired network as well. Interesting thing is that it has a connection to the latest firmware on Samsung's server but cannot access the internet (Netflix, Youtube).

I'm actually watching Netflix via LG BD DVD player through the same wired LAN connection until Samsung comes up with a fix.

davisesq

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015
I just noticed this problem today.... very frustrating..

Not sure that Open DNS is, but the address below is working now. BTW the other one didn't work for some reason...

I am now using OpenDNS DNS address: 208.67.222.222 and it WORKS.

Status
Not open for further replies.