Samsung Smart TV or Sony Internet Tv

AyuX

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I want to buy a 32" LED TV where quality should be first concern. Is Samsung Smart TV or Sony Internet Tv better when it comes to smart Tvs?

Solution
You are correct! The Samsung does have a WiFi adapter built in, and the sony does not. The Adapter isn't insanely expensive, but is an additional cost. I have not gone through the entire list of supported USB formats, both seem comparable in the owner's manual. If you are looking for something specific, obviously make sure it's there before you purchase. It sounds like you're leaning towards the Samsung. I'd say give it a shot. Most stores here in the states give you a 30 day return/exchange policy, but I can't say 100% that's the same everywhere around the world.

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
These two LCD television brands trade blows across the board. In terms of image quality, feature set, and build quality, IMO, they tie. When you start hitting the very high end XBR line, Sony would probably pull ahead by a small margin in image quality.

AyuX

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

Have you used Both Tvs?

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
I have sold, played with, and viewed any television you can possibly imagine. Your absolute best image quality is Local Dimming LED backlighting. The only set in 32" that has this is a Toshiba, and it's fairly expensive (~$900). Shy of that, everything else in the same price point always trade blows. I personally prefer the Sony's menu system (I have a 40" XBR). What I recommend to almost everyone, is go to your local store, and play with both. If you are more concerned with the Internet/Smart features, obviously test based on that. You should always set the televisions to their standard mode, and remove their vivid, or dynamic modes, as this makes it impossible to get an accurate comparison.

AyuX

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

LG has an IPS display TV for the same price. But I don't like LG. Does Sony give you better internal quality for the components? Does Samsung have a good reputation? Here are the models in my consideration. Sony32ex650 vs Samsung 32eh5600 vs Samsung 32eh5330

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Yes, Samsung does have a good reputation. They make quality televisions, and have recently purchased a majority stake in Sony's S-LCD production. Both companies have supplied each other, and numerous other manufacturers with LCD panels for years. The two giants have been far more intertwined than either would let on for a long time.

Aside from very small differences ( Samsung has 3 HDMI, Sony has 4, ETC) Im being 100% serious when i say, it really does come down to the menu, and design of the sets. Once again, on a personal note, i've been biased to Sony displays for a long time. If you are truly interested in the Smart TV features, give the Samsung a try, you'll be pleasantly surprised!

AyuX

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

Samsung reads more formats through USB right? I will see them side by side. I think the Samsung EH5600 has built in wifi receiver so i don't need to spend more cash, sony doesnt have that feature

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
You are correct! The Samsung does have a WiFi adapter built in, and the sony does not. The Adapter isn't insanely expensive, but is an additional cost. I have not gone through the entire list of supported USB formats, both seem comparable in the owner's manual. If you are looking for something specific, obviously make sure it's there before you purchase. It sounds like you're leaning towards the Samsung. I'd say give it a shot. Most stores here in the states give you a 30 day return/exchange policy, but I can't say 100% that's the same everywhere around the world.

Solution

DavidWarner

Honorable
May 14, 2012
I would recommend you to rather go for LG smart passive 3d TV instead. Company had announced multiple smart sets in the beginning of 2012 named LM series models; some top notch models are (LM9600, LM8600 and LM6200). They all have LGs magic motion remote inside the bundle along with 6 pairs of passive 3d glasses.
Check these models as per your size preference, personally I have tried LM7600 its picture quality was outstanding! Design and other smart features are way better than the preference you've mentioned above.

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Did you even read the OP? You seem to have just randomly picked a thread, and pasted a spec sheet. Number one, the OP said he didn't want to go with LG, which is his god given right. Number two, they don't even make a 32 inch set in the Models you recommended. Number three. You are dilusional to think the menu on an LG is that much better than other manufacturers (or you work for LG).

avmitking

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
Thanks jcoultas98,

I've found this thread very helpful.

Apart from above, I've some more questions.

1) As mentioned that Local Dimming LED back-lighting is very costly. So would it be better to buy edge LED back-lighting or LCD. Which would have better picture quality?.
2) I'm open for all three brands, please suggest for LED / LCD both.
3) I've also come across different series, i.e. 3,4,5,6,7,8 & 9. I know about few, if you can share knowledge in detail.