Samsung Smart TV (UN46ES6100) can't connect to wireless network anymore

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cejay25

Estimable
Sep 23, 2014
I've had this TV for 2 years connected to my home network (Cisco router) using WEP security protocol. This week I have upgraded to WPA2 Personnal (AES) protocol. All of my home hardware (PC's, iPad,s, iPhones...) have switched over without any problem but the TV just won't connect. After entering the password, I get a connection failed message. I have tried disabling the security on the router, reverted back to WEP also to no avail. Nothing works anymore. Help please?

bartsmom

Estimable
Feb 25, 2015

Thanks so much! I had the same issue - started yesterday and your solution fixed my problem!

cswartz

Estimable
Feb 25, 2015
Thanks LGVoor26. I found your solution worked. Make sure there is a good connection to the wireless gateway/modem first. I had to do your procedure twice. 1st time TV power went off. 2nd time a window popped up showing download progress. Stand by. It only takes a minute. I reconnected to internet thirty seconds later.

TheBlackArchitect

Estimable
Feb 25, 2015
Hey folks. I FIXED MY ISSUE.

I tried resetting the router....NADA
The MAC address of the TV was already in the web interface for my router.
Tried setting DNS to 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76.......NADA
Even tried setting DNS to 8.8.8.8..........NADA.
Resetting the TV itself......NADA

So I gave it a day to think about it and here is what I did.

Menu on the remote > Support > Software Update........it connected to the "network server" and my TV connected to the server and installed an update. It was WAY outdated via the version of software.
After the update installed and my TV rebooted I went back into Network Settings it connected to the internet!!!

All apps updated. Keyword.....UPDATE YOUR SOFTWARE ON YOUR TV.

Pasty

Estimable
Feb 26, 2015
No solution , but for the last 2 days no connection to net on my series 6 samsung, read all above posts , this morning was going to phone samsung , but turned tv on and it is all back working , no idea why , but maybe sorted at a higher level ! Anyhow good news

chucksf

Estimable
Feb 26, 2015
I had the same problem. Got the firmware update from Samsung, used a usb to update. Then it took a few starts and stops for it all to get in sync. One app needed to update, then another, then Netflix. What pisses me off is who in their right mind would design a tv that would suddenly stop connecting to the internet because firmware is not up-to-date. They should take their smart tv concept and stuff it.

ksaad

Estimable
Feb 28, 2015
Help please... My smart 3D tv does not find any wireless router... i've updated the firmware and tried everything mentioned above... the router is right beside TV so the signal strength is not a problem..

Allisterc

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015

Yup, that's the way to do it.

Priscillarg23

Estimable
Mar 31, 2015
I'm having the same issues here. Bought our Smart TV in 2012, in 2013 we used Netflix with no problem, WiFi was working fine.

6 months later, it stopped detecting Wi-Fi signal. We tried a WiFi signal expander, (didn't detect it still, even after connecting the expander to the TV through Ethernet Port), yes the signal on the house was improved, but the TV still didn't detect it. It was kind of a cheap expander (around $30), so I don't know if a better one would fix the problem (I saw someone suggest a NetGear which costs around $60-$80). I'd be happy to try but I'm not sure this would do it, because I connected our Blu-Ray to the expander and it did work, so it should work on the TV too right? (Although the TV is farther from the router). I'm just hesitant about spending on another expander just to find out it wouldn't solve the problem.

After hours on phone with Samsung Tech Support, they told me that my Wireless Card was probably broken, due to power variations, and they suggested taking the TV to a repair center. Since my TV is 3 years old, I'm assuming this is not gonna be covered by warranty, so at least I'm calculating $200 to fix it. Waaay too much honestly. Any of you guys think connecting a WiFi wireless adapter to the TV (through USB) would work? I'm not sure it would override the internal LAN adapter TV has. :( (P.S. We did all the updates etc, etc,)

DarkPresence

Estimable
Apr 3, 2015

I have the exact same TV and the exact same problem. What's worse is the TV IS connecting to the router but not the internet--even though 8 other devices are connecting via the same router flawlessly.

DarkPresence

Estimable
Apr 3, 2015

THIS WORKED!!!! 1000% correct think you brother. What a pain in the ass--over an hour of f*&$ing with my router and TV until I found this post.

sbduffy

Estimable
Apr 3, 2015
I've tried all of this - software update, unplugged router, unplugged tv, etc etc & nothing. Any time I get to the network screen on the tv it just goes right back to the menu - my tv isn't recognizing the internet connection at all!

DTAtlanta

Estimable
Apr 12, 2015

I tried almost all the suggestions that I've seen on these forums to fix this same problem with my Samsung UN40ES6100F, including searching for s/ware updates. I finally contacted Samsung support via chat, who advised me to switch the DNS address to 8.8.8.8. This worked for me--it would be nice to know what the variables are that cause some suggestions to work for some and not others. But for now, I'm just glad to get internet back. Hope this helps others....

Supermama

Estimable
Apr 12, 2015
I just thought I would post this solution here after I spent several days and hours on the phone trying to get my Samsung Smart TV to connect to the internet. After having the television for 2 years with not problems at all, suddenly it would not connect to WiFi. The last tech at Samsung that I spoke with knew exactly what to do and my TV was back working and connection to the internet within a few minutes. He told me to reset the DNS to 8888.
Detailed instructions for the computer challenged community such as me:
On your TV remote, go to Menu, Settings, Network
Next select Network Settings, Start, IP Settings
Then select DNS mode and make sure the green check is on "manual"
Enter 8 8 8 8 and OK
Bingo, instant internet
(note - I also was told to click on Samsung Smart Hub in upper right corner. I had reset my TV and it needed to update and add back my programs)
I have a Samsung Smart TV Model No. UN553S6500 (a 2012 model)
NOTE: I adore people that know their jobs!♥ Thanks Chris!

dmbaker63

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007

I have the same issue with my Samsung smart tv. Its been updated and I've tried every troubleshooting tip I could find but the problem is with the tv. Samsung told me to either buy a new one or pay for servicing. I paid too much money for that tv to have to pay anything at all this soon. I have ancient tv's I'm still using with no problems. For that kind of money one should expect the equipment to last longer than a few years. I'm just not doing it and I'm also never buying another Samsung. If you search around you'll find lots of folks with this issue. Just my opinion but Samsung ought to take care of their customers on this since there's clearly some kind of issue with their tv's.

Supermama

Estimable
Apr 12, 2015
I tried everything you tried first and after making several calls to Samsung, I called again and spoke to another tech who immediately told me to reset the DNS to 8888. That solved my problem immediately! The code may be different for where you live. I don't know that just that is my line of thinking since I am no computer wiz. You might check with Samsung help number again and suggest that.
Here are my simplified instructions:
On your TV remote, go to Menu, Settings, Network
Next select Network Settings, Start, IP Settings
Then select DNS mode and make sure the green check is on "manual"
Enter 8 8 8 8 and OK
Bingo, instant internet
I hope this helps. I am sharing because I had a very frustrating experience too. My TV is now two years old and this is the only issue I have had with it. All the techs I spoke too were extremely nice except two who both tried to get me off the phone as soon as possible, but then you can get that anywhere. Good luck!

r1c081

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015
I have 65" Plasma 2011 Model#PN64D8000FFXZA. My internet works fine and my router shows that it is connected wirelessly to the TV.
Problem:
TV was not able to launch Smart Hub Apps (Netflix, HBOGO, etc.) after recent automatic software updates. Shows error message that wireless network interference occurred try again later.
Observations:
Not able to launch apps from TV (netflix, etc).
Able to download new apps to TV.
TV Network Settings showed that it was connected to network but not to internet.
Able to browse internet on TV using its Web Browser (this was a huge giveaway that the way Smart Hub launches its Apps are the problem).
Solution:
I went online to samsung.com and downloaded the latest software to a USB drive and updated my TV manually since the TV kept on telling me that there was no new upgrades available, this did not solve the problem, but you should update your stuff when troubleshooting. What solved the problem for me was that I changed my TV DNS Server settings to 8.8.8.8. Perhaps Samsung has screwed something up in their latest Smart Hub update and/or something is wrong with their DNS servers as mentioned by a previous poster?

LagunaNiguelCA

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015
I had the same problem on my Samsung - message said tv was connected to network but not to internet. Used SmartMama's solution above and it connected right away! Follow her directions to reset the DNS code manually to 8888

Status
Not open for further replies.