Solved! Samsung TV and Onkyo Receiver ethernet connection

Apr 12, 2018
I have a Onkyo TX-NR575 audio receiver that has a ethernet connection. My TV and Directv Receiver connect to my network over WiFi. If I connect the Onkyo wired ethernet connection will it share that connection through HDMI to the other components? For example if I am using the smart TV functions like Netflix and Hulu will it connect through the wired connection now that the Onkyo is connected? Each if the three components have their own ethernet plug. I am trying to go to a wired connection rather than wireless and trying to figure if I have to run 3 separate ethernet wires or if 1 will do.

Apr 12, 2018
I am trying to go to a wired connection rather than WIFI. All three components have their own ethernet plug. They are all connected with HDMI cables. I need to find out if I have to run 3 separate ethernet cables or will one do the trick.

Apr 12, 2018
Thanks. Both the TV and Onkyo receiver have HDMI 1.4 or higher. The Directv Genie HR44-500 has a ethernet port but Directv says if I want to have my Whole Home to work I have to use the WIFI. I am most interested in having the wired connection to the Samsung TV so I can get the best signal for Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu. All my connections are behind the wall so I was trying to figure out if I should snake the ethernet cable to the TV or down to the receiver and let the receiver bring it up to the TV through the HDMI connection.

Before u get all excited, consult the manuals first, bet u the devices in question do not support this feature.

Vendor telling u must use WIFI over wired ethernet is just silly. No App should care about your LAN infrastructure, TCP/IP is agnostic. U can simply try out first with a long CAT cable before wiring the wall.

Apr 12, 2018
The issue over the WIFI over wired is the connection issue between the other Directv receivers in the whole home network and how they share playlists. I am being told by Directv that the Genie HR44-500 can be connected directly to my network modem via the ethernet cable but I will loose the ability to share playlists with the other Directv receivers in my house. I am going to try connecting them one at a time with a 30' ethernet cable to see what works before I snake it through the walls. The most important goal is to use the Smart feature of the TV over a wired connection rather than the WIFI connection it has now. I was hoping I could run the ethernet to the Onkyo and it would pass that wired connection to the TV through the HDMI connection it has now with the receiver. If that doesn't work I will have to connect the ethernet directly to the TV. The connection to the Onkyo would be much easier physically if it works.

Apr 12, 2018
After researching my issue I believe the best way to connect all the components is by using a 5 port ethernet switch. That will allow me to run one ethernet cable to the switch in that room and connect the components from there.

Apr 12, 2018
I ended up running the ethernet cable to the TV room and connecting it to a 5 port gigabit ethernet switch then connecting all the components from there. It worked great and the Directv Genie was able to connect and share through the Whole Home network. The HDMI ethernet pass through question is moot since I didn't even try that. The information about the Genie not being to connect and share while being wired was from the AT&T/Directv forum. That turned out to be incorrect and it works just fine. Thanks for all the input.