Not sure if this question belongs to this part of the forum but here goes. I've been trying for hours to get my Samsung TV (ue50ju6875) to play subtitles for a mkv file. I've put the files in the same folder and named them the same name both folder and files). I've tried to change the coding of the srt file to every type available... the subtitles. will. not. play... I'm using a USB stick and have done this before but now nothing works
The selected answer works good but I've found a better and easier workaround. samsung tv does not use the subtitles in the same folder if the MKV file contains merged subtitles and there is no way to tell the TV to ignore them.
in order to make things work you don't need to use any third party application like MKVtoolnix , all you need to do is to change the file extension from MKV to AVI , and then put your subtitle files in the same directory just like you said . dont forget to rename your subtitles identical to the movie file name
Glad you found a solution, however be aware that in general you should NOT change the extension of any file. In this particular case changing from MKV to AVI still means it's the Matroska container so there's a good chance you'd confuse some media players so that the "AVI" file might now not work other places.
Your media file has four main components:
a) video (i.e. H264)
b) audio (i.e. AAC)
c) Subtitle (i.e. vobsub)
d) container (MKV)
You don't change ANY of that by renaming the extension to AVI. Nor can a media device decode a Matroska file if it actually thinks it's AVI... it's still splitting with a Matroska protocol... so luckily it works but again there's no guarantee that will work elsewhere.
It's like naming an MP3 audio file to AAC. It's still an MP3 audio file so some devices might manage to decode as MP3 but others might expect AAC and produce garbage or just crash.
(there are also examples where renaming the extension makes sense. For example renaming "rar" to "cbr" for comics scanned into as a collection of JPG's then bundled as a RAR file. When you rename to CBR that allows a program like CDisplay to launch and show the comic as intended rather than a program like WinRAR which would just launch and show the list of JPG's in the rar file)