Samsung TV won't recognise USB flash drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamieburns44

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017
Hello All

I'm trying to watch a standard .avi file on my Samsung TV (ue43j5600) by plugging in a USB flash drive.

I first tried all my flash drives and none of them worked - the TV simply didn't recognise them and so did not list them under 'sources'.

I did a little research and decided to buy a USB 3.0 flash drive. I plugged it in as soon as I unwrapped it and the TV recognised it, but then as soon as I put some video files on it and tried again I was back to the same problem - the TV didn't recognise it.

I've never had any problems using USB drives on TVs before so am utterly baffled. Any ideas?

Many thanks

Jamie

Are you aware not all TV can play videos in this manner? and those which do only play a certain "type" video files.

Manual should tell you exactly what is what, u don't really need us.

jamieburns44

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017

No devices work when connected by the USBs and yes I tried both ports. I've tried USB 2.0 and 3.0 formatted in FAT32 and NTFS - nothing works.

Yes but it should still recognise the drive and appear as a 'source', should it not?

Bryan_81

Prominent
Jun 24, 2017

Bryan_81

Prominent
Jun 24, 2017
I have a fairly old Samsung smart TV and suddenly two of my 64Gb (FAT32)flash drives would not be recognized by the TV- they had both worked normally for ages. One was USB 2.0 (Cruzer) and one was USB 3.0 (Kingston). I did the following--reformatted them both and gave them new names, did a file system check and anti-virus check. Reloaded the video files. I then upgraded the TV software--did a factory reset, reset the Smarthub again. Nothing helped, continued to read other flash drives but not these two both of which which worked fine on my computer. In a last desperate effort I reformatted both flash drives NTFS--problem (half) solved. What I mean by that is all is working fine but I can only use my Windows computer not my Apple Mac to add files to the flash drive. Many other FAT 32 flash drives (all are 16Gb or less) are recognized by my TV--bit of a mystery but that was my experience!

i_killed_kenny69

Prominent
Nov 28, 2017

I have a Samsung Smart TV (an old one, 2011 model I don't know the specific model number). I use it almost exclusively for watching media off a flash or hard drive (some file types it doesn't recognize, I convert them, no big deal). We live in a small rural town and our internet is garbage for streaming, and until our lines out here are updated it can't get any faster. So we do have Netflix but it freezes and glitches constantly.

Anyway the other day I switched media on my USB, and when I plugged it back in it wasn't updating the new files. So I formatted the USB, put the files back on and tried again. Still showing the old files. So I tried a different flash drive, and it kept showing "loading" then froze and restarted. Ever since it will not load any USB flash drives. It shows them in "sources" but I just get the "loading" screen and then it freezes and restarts. Not sure if our issues are similar, but I've tried formatting them. Resetting the TV to factory settings. Unplugging it for a day. It says there are no firmware updates. I'm at a loss. Not sure if our issues are similar but I am interested to see.

Side note, I do have a 32" (newer) Samsung LED TV that is not a Smart TV. USB's won't play through "source" you have to hit a button that says "Media" and then "videos" and it will recognize it that way. I haven't seen a Samsung TV (that isn't a Smart TV) without this feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.