Samsung: We're Working Hard on Our Own Smartwatch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]why do you need a watch...we have smartphones...what they really need to work on is battery life[/citation]
There is a really good reason why companies are looking into 'wearables'. Smartphones have made so many devices redundant and useless that it is cutting into other business lines. My own phone has replaced my laptop, ereader, GPS, mp3 player, camera, video camera, pda/day planner, DS, not to mention my watch. And good riddance to all of those devices! It is a whole lot less devices/cables/batteries/file management to keep track of!

But for a parts manufacturer like Samsung, this has to be a little scarry. Sure cell phones sell like hotcakes, but that is a whole bunch of redundant parts no longer being sold to people, many of which Sammy makes parts for. So they NEED to have wearables take off, simply to keep the clutter market booming.

reggjoo

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
I don't wear watches either, their are too many other ways to get the time. If I was samsung, apple, htc, etc... I would work on the google glass thing. Considering how electronics are getting smaller, and powerful, could you imagine this concept, matured, a thin strip that does everything that a smartphone, smartwatch, etc.. with a heads up display! Bendable glass eyewear, with the power of a computer, yeah, thats what I want!

smoothsmith

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
I'd find it pretty awesome to have a smartwatch if they could use their lovely bendy-screen technology to have a good 3.5" screen that curves over my wrists a bit.

I'd feel ridiculously awesome controlling my sonos' for example from my wrist, quasi-futuristic unnecessary but cool looking technology ftw!

+1 if I can put a pip-boy skin on it ;)

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Waiting for more details from moles on Apple's Smart Watch then hurry to be first to market! Sure there are smart watches out there but back in the day there was portable music players, semi-smart phones, and tablets before being improved by iPod, iPhone, iPad, and if true, iWatch.[/citation]

LOL @ iParanoid.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I never got the point of "smart watches", in fact I just got a normal watch. A nice citizen eco-drive BM8180 which from what I gathered from various watch enthusiest sites and forums is a nice cheap, but very high quality and reliable watch. Solar powered with a reserve of 6months, and after 20yr the max reserve capacity drops to 80% max charge is suspected and that component is expected to last around 40yr's.

I have my doubts that any smart watch would last more than a few years. Not to mention theres something nice about having a nice simple watch to just tell time, I leave my phone to being the portable computer and do all the grunt work on the go.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think the funny thing about Apple Suing Samsung over design for their touch based phones and tablets is that Samsung already did it first.
Before Apple's iPad and iPhone was the Samsung slate. A tablet PC without a keyboard with... Rounded corners.

sumasu325

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
03AHJ_Vut-fgQM9omcPSeBzTid8r0PnJI3QGaLwa1_zGBHRQMJ3Qh1Okq6U0cxrH1zCt8-lGf12-bPvs9dc89EeT5coY46NaqBiy3llRCc14fabLUpExv16OAkVCbxNTdX3lqhzOHEu4KW

old_newbie

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
I wasn't interested in smart watch...at first. Then I saw that kickstarter project "Pebble" watch. Its actually pretty cool. Its not meant to be a stand alone smart device, but rather an extention to your IOS or Android phone (via bluetooth). Schedules, gps, caller ID, music, etc all come from the phone, but can be displayed on the watch. plus there are 'apps' to extend other functions as well. I guess apple/samsung saw how this thing got funded by the public so quickly in kickstarter and decided to jump on the bandwagon.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]Blarg44[/nom]I hope you aren't insinuating Samsung copying Apple. Sony, Pebble and LG all already have 'smart watches' out.[/citation]

And you think Samsung is coming out with this product because of Sony, Pebble and LG or because Apple is going to enter the market?

Put on your basic econ 101 hat for a second and understand strategically how Samsung has and currently operates. Understand the true market creator (in terms of viable consumer demand) and trendsetter, and you'll know 100% that Samsung is not coming out with products first but as a reaction to Apple products.

This was true with the finger touch smartphones (iPhone), true with the finger touch tablets (iPad), true with ultra-books (Air), retail stores (Apple Store), now this. Samsung is following once again what Apple is doing. Not saying Apple is first to market, what I am saying is Samsung follows what Apple does. There's a distinction and this faction is absolutely known to anyone who follows the history, economics and specs of products,

Status
Not open for further replies.