Sata I with an SSD?

DragonLS

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314119

I just realized after purchasing this laptop, it noted that it used a SATA interface. There was no number next to it (since I assumed most laptops/desktops came with at least SATA II), so I tried to google up some results on what kind of SATA version it used.

So far, I've no clue if it's SATA I or above, the main Acer website just says "SATA".

I was wondering if anyone knew? And if it really is SATA I, will I even benefit from an SSD? Given how SSD's are blazing fast on SATA II & III, I think it will be sluggish on a SATA I connection, wouldn't it?

Jaxem

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
It's not usually a relevant spec for a laptop which is why it's hard to find, but i'd confidently say you have at least Sata II, probably Sata III. I couldn't find the specific info either though.

DragonLS

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

After asking some questions on the product on newegg, a few have confirmed that it's Sata III, but something else confused me.

One of them mentioned that the laptop does have an mSata connector. I don't quite understand this? If I were to buy an SSD, replace the built-in HDD with it, it will fit in the slot, right? I mean, it'd be 2.5", so how can it not fit?

Jaxem

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
Yes, a ssd will fit perfectly, the mSATA slot is separate from the HDD slot, it looks like a mpcie slot, but is for things like mSATA ssd's. My laptop has one of these as well, and i actually replaced the main drive with a 120 GB Samsung 840, then put a 32 GB cheapie mSATA SSD in the mSATA slot for caches and downloads and such, to save writes to the expensive drive. The purpose of having one is usually to have a HDD, then put a SSD cache with it to speed up boot and load, but keep more storage, a single SSD is better though in my opinion :)