School Installs Facial Recognition Tech for Roll Call

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
My friends were identical twins. They used to swap classes once in a while just for fun and to have a slightly different day... I don't think that facial thing would know the difference because the only people that could tell were thier closest friends.

jkeelsnc

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
I think the RFID is a great idea. That way if they are not there they can automatically be scheduled for detention. Of if they aren't at school the police can find them and deliver them to the school and call their parents who should be whipping their behind for not being there in the first place.

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I dont think its really an invasion of privacy. And the fact that you can pull a register of students would be helpful in case of emergency. If you have ever had a bomb threat at your school you know if things go crazy it takes hours to get everybody back to where they need to be. Happened when we were in school after columbine. Just a thought.

chunkymonster

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
If this technology were used to identify illegal immigrants so they and their parents could be deported, then this tech might actually be something useful; otherwise it is just one step closer to the Nanny State.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The benefits just don't outweigh the loss of privacy here. The UK is just getting to be a police state. How can people living there put up with this?

People need to start letting their elected officials know that they do not support this. I've changed my vote in an election specifically because of proposed anti-privacy laws.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]chunkymonster[/nom]If this technology were used to identify illegal immigrants so they and their parents could be deported, then this tech might actually be something useful; otherwise it is just one step closer to the Nanny State.[/citation]

Shhhhh, dont say that here in California. They are called "undocumented" not illegal. sarcasm/

I wonder if you could get your friends to hold up life sized pictures of your face and then have them enter your PIN for you?

fracture

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]chunkymonster[/nom]If this technology were used to identify illegal immigrants so they and their parents could be deported, then this tech might actually be something useful; otherwise it is just one step closer to the Nanny State.[/citation]

If that happens then you better get used to high priced grocery.

G

Slowly, slowly, we are drifting toward "1984". Every new technology is accepted because of its advantages, without considering how it can be abused by the government. Speed trapping cameras are a perfect example. Eventually, they will be everywhere, and will be accepted. Anyone who hasn't read "1984", and "I, Robot" needs to.

rubix_1011

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
I'd suggest parents take more action in their children's lives and ensure they are going to school instead of implementing automated prison controls, but then I'd just be flying in the face of society and the idea of television and internet as parenting tools.

drhenks

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
...and uses a camera to take 3D photos of students which are forwarded to the creepy P.E. teacher's inbox.

There I fixed it.

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I hear these systems are quite easy to fool, so they are already testing a system that takes a pint of blood every morning. We wouldn't want you to be late for school.

rolo787

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]klavis[/nom]What's the point of the facial recognition software if the student is just going to put in their own id code?[/citation]
[citation][nom]klavis[/nom]What's the point of the facial recognition software if the student is just going to put in their own id code?[/citation]

So they can't "sign in" a friend. It would be like clocking into work for somebody else.

G

Just go ahead and give in to big government which goes hand and hand with the mafia and give them your infants at birth to torture, everyone stands back with the "nothing to hide" attitude and allows their children's futures to go down the drain. Pure stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.