Screen Burn in (Plasma)

ckassem

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
I am setting up a wireless rig so my injured dad can buy coins on ebay and what not by using his 50" Panasonic Plasma tv. I understand that there isn't really a set time before burn in starts to occur, so I was wondering if anyone out here actually has any experience running their computer video to a large plasma screen? He likely will not be gaming or anything, just surfing the web, and mostly on ebay. I do not want him to burn in a window box or start bar or anything else into his glorious tv. It's a Panasonic TH50PX50U. What I'm looking for is someone's personal experience that will make me feel comfortable telling him that he can put his wife's computer video on his tv without fear of hurting it. Thanks so much.
-Chad

turbonetdis

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
there really isn't a set time and the older panny's are a little more suspect to burn in than the newer ones on lower picture settings. Only thing about using a pc on plasmas is that it's all static images. Extended surfing with bright cool colors will probably take about twenty minutes to temporarily burn in. Then about an hour or two to permanently burn in on standard picture settings. I wouldn't really advise plasmas for internet surfing. However, HTPC it will be just fine when constantly running media. From personal experience, it's fine under moderation. But if it becomes monitor just for pc use then I wouldn't advise it.