Screen stuck on wrong display

SukoKingler

Commendable
Mar 20, 2016
Sorry I don't use a laptop, there was no Desktop tech support category. Recently I was using an Elgato HD60 on my computer (Windows 8.1) . It was working fine until I was stupid and I went to display settings and started to mess around. In display settings there was an option called main monitor or something and the options were "Elgato" and my actual monitor. So I selected Elgato as the only monitor to be displayed and now the screen goes black. Normally there would be a box that would pop up that would revert back to the original settings if you don't click accept, but nothing happened when I waited. So I then decided to restart my computer, and nothing at all happened. My computer had restarted, I heard sounds when it booted up, but it was black the whole way through. Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this?

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First disconnect the Elgato device and see if you'll get the display back to the monitor.
- If it will not work connect the monitor if it uses HDMI as well to the port where the Elgato device is connected.
- Once you'll get the display back on the monitor you can revert to the changes you've made.
- If this will not work try doing the changes in Safe Mode.
- While the PC is booting up repeatedly press on F8 until it loads Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode with Networking then press Enter.
- Once in Safe Mode do uninstall/reinstall the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the graphics driver.
- Next is to also check Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to the graphics card.
- Once done, download and install the latest driver from the manufacturers site.
- Reboot your PC once the driver has been installed then test it again.

SukoKingler

Commendable
Mar 20, 2016

It seems something is wrong with my DVI port. I unplugged the Elgato from my computer and it was still black. I then took out the DVI and plugged in a VGA into my monitor. It started working but since my GPU doesn't have a VGA connector it detects my GPU as an Intel HD Graphics. I started looking in display settings and the only monitor option was my actual monitor. So I unplugged the VGA cord and plugged in the DVI. Screen is still black. If only my GPU had a VGA port... Is there anything to do? Safe Mode won't work because the display isn't in a GPU port.