SD Card won't format to FAT32

sparkyuiop

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Hi all.

I recently found a 64GB SD card with a broken casing and no label on it. I took it home and re-cased the chip it in a 4GB SD card case. I had to do some work with a craft knife to get it to fit but I was successful.

I put it in my USB SD card reader and it opened up explorer but it had no files on it.

I decided to use Windows to format it and selected the default file system which displayed as exFAT.

I formatted it as exFAT which completed fine but it won't recognize in my Canon camera or Hitachi professional camcorder, both of which state they take 64GB SD cards.

I tried to reformat using windows again but the only other option I get is NTFS which it will format in but again is not recognized in any of my devices.

I tried to use the 'USB format tool' that is used in the making of 'Hirens BootCD' and that does give me the FAT format option but if I use it I get a 'file system too large' error or something like that.

I also don't know what the speed of this card is as there was no label on it.

Has anyone got any suggestions or should I just bin it?

usb.jpg

usb2.jpg

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... Yes the Max VOLUME size for fat32 is 2TB... Try deleting all partitions on it first, then try a Format at FAT32 on it... Your camera has it's own format type to handle the 64gb, and can be done in the camera.

sparkyuiop

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

How do I partition an SD card in Windows 7 Ultimate x64? Disk management?
Do I format 3GB as FAT32 and the other as NTFS and then try it in camera?

sparkyuiop

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

I'm using Minitool Partition wizard but it will only create a 4GB maximum FAT32 partition. If I try and format the other partition to FAT32 it says 'Warning: Windows only recognizes the first partition on removable media'.

sparkyuiop

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

The camera won't acknowledge the SD card has been inserted so I can't use that to format it.

ronspruell

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Wait a minute I wanted to format a 128 gig SD card using FAT32. Well tried windows 7 and it wouldn't format it FAT32. So I go to the bottom of the screen on the left in the run type MCD which takes you to the dos prompt. I type format /FS:FAT32 X: where X is the drive letter of the SD card. It starts formatting about 3 hours latter it say cant format the card because it to big something ti that extent. It dud fimat tbe card in a second exfat which it does for SD cards. Now I read you can format 2 terabyte SD cards please tell me how. FAT stands for file allocation table and this file allocation table is 32 bits so how can you do 2 terabytes I can't even do a 128 gigabytes SD card because the volumn is to big and I can understand that.I just really need to know I can format a 128 gigabytes because I need it formated FAT32 for my quadcopter.