YAMPY

Estimable
Jul 15, 2014
I have a NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti 2GB Graphics card which has one HDMI slot and one VGA slot. I have my HDMI cable connected to my BenQ computer monitor but then using a HDMI to VGA adapter that goes from my VGA (graphics card slot) to my LG smart TV HDMI Slot. My computer is windows 8.1 and it can be found as a device on my computer but the tv keeps saying 'No video connected' or 'No signal' Help.

Solution
First make sure that you are actually displaying something on that monitor. Please make sure both the TV and the monitor are connected and press Win+P (hold windows button, press "p"), then chose clone mode (or duplicate, if that's how windows calls it).

After that, make sure your TV is set to the right source. TVs tend to have multiple HDMI inputs, so you have to be sure you are trying to display the one that is actually connected.

If all that fails, please tell us more about your VGA/HDMI adapter (manufacturer and model, if you have that).

Murissokah

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
First make sure that you are actually displaying something on that monitor. Please make sure both the TV and the monitor are connected and press Win+P (hold windows button, press "p"), then chose clone mode (or duplicate, if that's how windows calls it).

After that, make sure your TV is set to the right source. TVs tend to have multiple HDMI inputs, so you have to be sure you are trying to display the one that is actually connected.

If all that fails, please tell us more about your VGA/HDMI adapter (manufacturer and model, if you have that).

Solution

Creel256

Estimable
Jul 12, 2014
Do you have the right HDMI channel pulled up on your TV? Also, what are your settings like and how are you trying to use the TV and monitors? Are you trying to duplicate the display? Are you trying to use them in conjunction with each other? Right click your desktop and select "screen resolution" and see if that's able to detect your TV. If it does, try duplicating your display and see if that works.

YAMPY

Estimable
Jul 15, 2014
What I am attempting to do is have duel monitors as a way to kind of multitask, i do not want them to be a clone or extended, I would like to play an app on one screen and have text or another app on the other screen. This is the converter i am using for the LG SMART TV http://www.amazon.co.uk/Patuoxun%C2%AE-Adapter-Power-Free-Raspberry-support-HDMI-TO-VGA/dp/B00F6RZZMU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1405454620&sr=1-1&keywords=Patuoxun%C2%AE+1080P+HDMI+TO+VGA+Cable+Adapter+for+PC+Laptop+Power-Free%2C+Raspberry+Pi%2C+MHL+support . Also everything is securely connected and the HDMI is connected to my HDMI 3 slot on the TV and i have the channel up. (and yes i have tried other slots)

Creel256

Estimable
Jul 12, 2014
If you're wanting to use the dual monitors as doing one thing on one screen and another thing on the other screen then you would want to actually put it in extended mode. With extended mode you will be able to drag an application over to one monitor while using the other monitor, or TV, to display something else. I believe that adapter you have, however, isn't what you need. In one of the descriptions of the adapter it says that it converts the HDMI output to a VGA signal and from what it sounds like you're trying to do is convert VGA to an HDMI output right? This is quoted from the description of the adapter on Amazon: "Convert the HDMI output port on your laptop to an analog VGA input with the HDMI to VGA Conversion Adapter". Also, as a little more clarity, you do have that adapter dangling from the back of your TV using the HDMI and then have the VGA from the computer plugged into the adapter right? If so, that could be why it's not working.

Murissokah

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007

What I meant by using clone mode was just to make sure there was actually something to be displayed on the TV. If you just connect it and don't set anything to display there, you will indeed get a "no video connected" message. You can use extended mode if that is what you need (which it is, by what you described).

Also, as stated before, that is a HDMI to VGA converter. This is an active conversion from a digital source an analog output and, as such, cannot operate in reverse. This is most certainly the reason you have no signal on your TV.

sora

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

I don't think you can use an HDMI to VGA adapter.

Creel256

Estimable
Jul 12, 2014

The original poster is actually using an HDMI to VGA adapter. What they are looking for is an adapter that converts VGA to HDMI which is why they aren't getting the signal on the TV. Sorry for my post if it was confusing.

YAMPY

Estimable
Jul 15, 2014
I'm not using a laptop, i'm using a desktop PC (AMD FX 8350 to be exact) and I have seen that the HDMI to VGA adapter does work for duel monitors if i only have one slot avaliable for HDMI in my graphics card slot (and yes my graphics card is good enough to run two monitors) my TV only has HDMI slots and not VGA, the only option on my computer is a VGA input on the graphics card (1 HDMI and one VGA) it's correctly plugged in and in my devices (on my computer) it shows my tv but my tv doesn't see my computer. i'm not getting any signal that it is plugged in and am getting no display even if i change my monitor to extended or cloned. oh and if the adapter doesn't convert then why does my PC see my tv?

The adapter is wrong for your application. Your PC may still detect the VGA part of the adapter but since it can't won't work in reverse your TV gets no signal. You need something like this:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1&format=2&p_id=6191&CAWELAID=1329452252&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CJrx67WWzb8CFcvm7AodkS4Avg
As to how you want to use the 2nd display, extended is the mode you want so you can use different programs on different screens. Clone mode would not let you do this.
You will need to set the resolution of the TV in your video control panel. If it is set too high you won't get anything except an out of range message.

Murissokah

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
If your adapter worked using VGA as an input and HDMI as an output, than it is not the one in the link. It might even look like that one, but that one will not work like that.

Notice that, since HDMI also carries audio, a converter from VGA to HDMI will usually include an analog audio input.

What model of 750 Ti do you have? They usually come with at least a DVI port available, which is much better for converting to HDMI.

Creel256

Estimable
Jul 12, 2014
What you're most likely looking for is a converter that'll convert a digital signal to analog since that's what VGA connections usually connect. An adapter simply changes how you connect up to a certain part but doesn't actually convert the digital signal to analog in order for your PC to see the signal.

k1114

Distinguished
The one he has is digital to analog (and it is an active converter) but what he is doing is analog to digital. A lot of the posts in this thread are just confusing the matter. It's a really simple issue, he's got the adapter on the opposite end so it's not working. He needs a vga to hdmi adapter, not hdmi to vga. The next step is to solve the issue. We need to know monitor/tv/gpu models to know what ports are available for the simplest and/or cheapest solution.