Secure Virtual OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

snazzyconnor

Estimable
May 28, 2014
hi,

I'm currently running windows 10 on my main pc (computer 1) and want to transfer files from another computer (computer 2) onto computer 1.

Using virtual box or another virtual machine software is it possible to set up a virtual computer solely to screen files with antivirus before there is any contact with my windows installation?
Preferably I'd like it to be free, I'd also like everything to be scanned by two anti virus softwares before going on, preferably Avast and Malwarebytes.

Cheers!

Solution

USAFRet

Illustrious
Can you? Yes.
Can you for free? Maybe not.

VirtualBox is free. But for the OS, Windows is not free, and that VM will need its own license.
You could use Linux as the OS (free), but there is no malwarebytes client for Linux.
On which system would this VM live?

And Malwarebytes is technically not 'antivirus', but rather antimalware.

May I ask what you are transferring that needs this level of investigation?

snazzyconnor

Estimable
May 28, 2014

apologies for the slow reply,

Oh I see, so is malwarebytes different because it's not a passive scanner?
I was hoping to have the vm running on computer 1, using linux (probably ubuntu or debian as they're the only 'main' ones I've used before)

So if I run say ubuntu on a vm, it cn scan files before any interaction with windows assuming I disable autoplay?
Everything from backups, pictures, downloaded applications and files, some of them have been transferred from other pcs before which is why I want to ensure nothings hitching a ride so to speak

USAFRet

Illustrious
1. Malwarebytes is NOT an active scanner. You run it on demand. And it is malware, not virus.
2. The anti virus realm is very different between Windows and Linus. Yes, you can get various AV scanners in the Linux world. But Avast in Windows does not check for anything different than Avast in Linux

What you seem to want to do is:
1. Files appear on PC 1 (from where?)
2. Scan those with its native Windows OS. AV and malware scanners (they are different)
3. Scan those again, with an OS living in a VM (Linux or Windows). Again, AV and malware scanners
4. Finally, transfer these files to PC #2.

I've had instances whereby the host Windows OS and AV will trap a suspect download that was initiated from a guest Linux VM OS.

What are you downloading, and from where?

snazzyconnor

Estimable
May 28, 2014

I see makes sense I'll give it a try :)
it's not what I'm downloading that is the problem, the files can be quite big - basically I don't own the router I'm using atm (I'm allowed to use it) which is open and I'm fairly certain someone's doing some sort of arp poisoning or certificate injection on the network, I use a vpn alot but find when doing downloads like more than 2-3 gb it's not worth having the vpn on because it takes hours so want to try and reduce the risk of a possible man in the middle attack while keeping speed.

The company that runs the network is useless, it's completely over capacity in the day I get like 30% dropped packets at peak times :p at the moment the only alternative is using 4g but I don't have enough allowance, I didn't think of a hardware firewall though I'll see if I'm allowed to get one connected to my local switch :)
Thanks for the help and merry christmas!

USAFRet

Illustrious

If you do not have control of the router, your FIRST move is to have some sort of router or firewall box between you and them.
After that...then scan.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.