Seeking New/Recent Laptop/Notebook Computer with good graphics card

Rusty Katt

Estimable
Jul 1, 2014
My old laptop (an HP Pavilion from 2007-08 running Windows Vista) has lasted a while, but it might finally be time to upgrade, as several systems are not meeting my needs such as graphics cards and internet connectivity.

If anyone has any recommendations for either desktop computers or laptops with which you have had success, please let me know. Just for reference, I have included some of what I am looking for in a new computer below, but all recommendations are welcome.

• Actual memory on a physical hard drive (maybe something around 250 to 500 GB), personal experience and not always being able to get on the internet has made remote storage impractical for me.

• A good graphics card. I admit to using the computer for gaming as much as writing, internet, e-mail and other online activities. Some of these games include animated or CG cutaways and my current computer graphics card provides jerky playback of both sound and imagery of these scenes.

• 2 to 3 USB ports… I use a wireless mouse and external hard drive often.

• Optical drives (CD/DVD driver) are ideal but if a portable one is compatible, not a must.

• Easy internet connectivity with current MiFi type of devices. After upgrading my Verizon MiFi and no longer getting Internet connection (local only connectivity on the laptop with full internet on several family iPads) I am overly concerned about it happening with other devices.

Thank you all for any recommendations or positive experiences you might have had with some computers or laptops.

Rusty Katt

Estimable
Jul 1, 2014
I live in the United States. Without question I would like to keep it under a 1,000 dollars (too many car repairs of late). Ideally I would like to keep it around 400 to 500 dollars if at all possible. I understand from some independent research this will greatly limit graphics cards, processing power and other options but still hope to keep it on the low end of costs.

Rusty Katt

Estimable
Jul 1, 2014
Real budget is probably not enough to get a great graphics card, it will be around 300 to 350 (I know that is lower then the 400 to 500 but I have had more unexpected expenses creep up since my last post).

Now one thing to add about my current computer... if someone isolates the game images and allows me to play them on a separate player (or through Youtube) they play smoothly, in the game they are jerky and hard to watch.

Rusty Katt

Estimable
Jul 1, 2014
What can I get then? I mean most modern games cannot expect people to pay over 1000 dollars for a computer to play them. What is the cheapest but best model that is recommended to play these games then? Or if I said most of them are for animated cut scenes what is the computer you would recommend?