Solved! Self Closed Popup tab

Dec 15, 2018
Hi there,
I was browsing a site I shouldn't have visited in the first place. It's a download site with all sorts of stuff, I clicked on a button that opened a new tab but it closed as soon as it opened. Is that something alarming? Or this all what it takes to infect your system?

Solution
Depends on what you clicked on and what the site did. Do you have auto downloads blocked? If so then you may well be fine. If not, well then that is another story.

I would suggest installing some good virus, malware and also spyware searching programs and check the computer. You may want to clear out your browser history and cache as well. Just make sure you save anything you need first that may be in there (depending on the browser you are using. Then reboot the computer when you are done with all of that.
Depends on what you clicked on and what the site did. Do you have auto downloads blocked? If so then you may well be fine. If not, well then that is another story.

I would suggest installing some good virus, malware and also spyware searching programs and check the computer. You may want to clear out your browser history and cache as well. Just make sure you save anything you need first that may be in there (depending on the browser you are using. Then reboot the computer when you are done with all of that.

Solution
Dec 15, 2018

It was a download button, not too shady looking, but free download site nonetheless. Website was userclouddotcom. I was using firefox, and I don't think firefox allows any downloads without user permission. Then again, these virus and worms spreading people are smart enough to crack these situations too. I ran a full system scan after than which took around 7 hours to complete. I also have Trend Micro premium. All scans returned positive results, but for some reason, I feel like the performance is down. 70 - 75% memory (8.0) consumption while all I have are two browsers running with not so many tabs.

Dec 15, 2018

Understood, but you don't think I may have got something out of that popup, do you?