Sell Dell XPS 15 to buy Asus UX31?

Thisispiggy

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about my Dell XPS 15 to buy Asus UX31. I'm a college student who usually uses my laptop for surfing, photoshop/lightroom/dreamweaver.

Here's the specs for my XPS 15:
Intel Core i7 Quadcore @ 2.00GHz
6.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz
733GB Western Digital WDC WD7500BPKT-75PK4T0 (SATA)
NVIDIA Geforce GT 525M

Here are my questions:

1. Will UX31's dualcore i5 processor run much slower?

2. Occasionally, I do play games such as Assassin's Creed, Lineage 2, Portal 2, Call of Duty. Will they run well on UX31? Perhaps on medium setting?

3. How much do you think the XPS 15 can sell?

4. Do you think, overall, it's worth it to sell XPS 15 for UX31?

5. I have Microsoft Office installed on XPS 15. If I were to sell it, should I put in the description that it comes with Office to boost the price? Or should I uninstall paid softwares before selling it?

6. How much difference in speed does the 2GB RAM differences between UX31 and XPS 15 make?

1. Zenbook's dual core i5-2557M 1.7Ghz ULV CPU will be slower.
For surfing, home entertainment, home office, school work it's still going to be OK.

For moderate to heavy Photoshop/Lightroom/Dreamweaver you will definitely notice the missing performance. But it will still get the work done, just not as fast.
Also watch out for the relative small amount of storage (128GB SSD).

2. Slower ULV CPU and HD 3000 graphics = low gaming.
3. What ever someone is willing to pay.
4. Not really. You'd loose money and get less performance. Although you'd have a nice looking, smaller and lighter notebook.
5. What ever works out best for you financially.
6. Not much.

Thisispiggy

Honorable
May 22, 2012
WR2, thanks for your reply.

1. I was looking at the benchmarks for the two laptops. I noticed that the UX31 has significantly higher benchmark on PCMark Vantage compared to XPS 15. Does this mean it is actually faster in daily tasks since it has SSD instead of hard drive?
http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/asus-zenbook-ux31.aspx
http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/dell-xps-15-sandy-bridge.aspx

2. It seems I wouldn't lose as much money as performance. Money wise, my laptop is specifically XPS 15 L502X, and as the above page indicates, it's actually more expensive than UX31. With Office installed, I could raise the praise one or two hundred dollars more. However, performance wise, I also lose the blueray disc drive, nice chiclet keyboard, nice 2.0 megapixel webcam, 15 inch screen, 750GB drive. If I were to buy UX31, I would have to buy an external optical drive, an external webcam, and external harddrive, which defeats its portability.

So maybe I really shouldn't switch the two. Perhaps I can save up enough over the next year or so to buy a second laptop.