Selling immaculate Sony Viao Laptop advice which disk to put back in it? UK Based.

PeterZ640

Estimable
Dec 26, 2015
I have a dilemma, this Laptop came with a 500GB 7,200 rpm HHD. This model seems to be going on eBay for £400-£500 And their condition is not great. Whereas, Mine Is utterly immaculate, always kept on a 3 fan cooler stand, never used keyboard or track pad etc. ( I used wireless mouse and keyboard all the time from new ) Kept static, never moved around. Etc.

But I upgraded the HDD to a Samsung Evo 850 500GB ( costing £140 then , now costs £119 on Amazon ). The question is (as I could put the Sammy in my new workstation, if one does not get a reasonable amout of ones money back in the form of a higher sales price)

Do I:-
A)
Put back the standard Toshiba 500GB 7,200 rpm HDD (and put the Samsung about 5 months old in my workstation) NB although its 7,200 rpm I discovered it is only Sata II i.e. 3gB/s! Found that out when I put in the Samsung.! And then try for the std. Price range, But its a bit of a hassle.

Or B)
Leave the 500GB samsung Evo in it, and ask £120 more ( cheeky but no hassle for the buyer, as its then fitted) and it also runs really fast - good user experience. Also zero hassle for me.

Or C)
Buy a 1TB HGST 7,200 rpm Sata 3, i.e. 6GBs. I can get this new for £46 , so its not a lot of money And then add £46 to the higher price bracket range on ebay, as its faster and doubles the size of the std. HDD.
So hopefully this would make the item more attractive? And more in tune with newer laptops that seem to have bigger discs.
Note I discovered when I put in the EVO, that the HDD Controller is Sata 3 i.e. 6GB/s .
Out of interest would one see a reasonable difference in speed loading Windows etc, between the original Sata 3GB/s and this HGST 6GB/s?

I am Interested to know whether you think, if either of these options like the 850 EVo or Extra, faster Additional 500GB space would effect the price?

Bluntly Is it worth the effort?
My current view is go with the HGST 1TB option, to differentiate it in capacity (at not a lot of cost to me) and hopefully improve performance???
Not risking a lot that way, and also reclaim my investment in the 850 EvO as I would buy another one anyway for the new Workstation.
Unless, you folks think people would pay a premium of say £100 to £120 if it came with the 850 EVO. Plus no work to swap them out for the new buyer. Or advertise it initially with the EVO at the high price, and if it doesnt sell then put the HGST in and lower the price. Any views most welcomed.

As everything is relative to the actual spec, here it is:- 17" Full Deluxe HD Sony Vaio VPCF22C5E. Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz Intel Core i7-2630QM @ 2.00GHz 2.9GHz in Turbo mode NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M with 4 GB RAM and 1 GB Dediicated Video Ram See benchmark 664 at http://www.videocardbenchmark.net ...p?gpu=GeForce+GT+540M&id= 8GB Ram Toshiba MK5061GSY 7200 500GB Sata II 3 GB/s HDD Blu Ray DVD Writer Pioneer BD-RW BDR-TD03 2x USB 3.0 and 1x USB 2.0 Sonys Best: Full HD 17" Screen. 1920x 1080 Backlight deluxe keyboard Windows 10 Home (legit upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium) Some kind of Office Light. ( never used) Win DVD bundled - plays BluRay

Solution
Usually upgrades to systems do not command a big premium when selling, unless you run across someone that wants that feature. I don't think you'll get any more for the laptop with an SSD but it may sell faster at the going prices if you do have it in. I'd just sell it with the original drive and keep the larger SSD for use in another system or for backups.
Usually upgrades to systems do not command a big premium when selling, unless you run across someone that wants that feature. I don't think you'll get any more for the laptop with an SSD but it may sell faster at the going prices if you do have it in. I'd just sell it with the original drive and keep the larger SSD for use in another system or for backups.

Solution

PeterZ640

Estimable
Dec 26, 2015

Thanks
Interesting speaking to my hardware supplier, he said if I did the cheap £46 HDD up grade to 1TB, he felt I would see no speed in crease going from a 3GB/s disc to a 6Gb/s disc . Surely thats not right? He said something along the lines of the Controller on HDDs is saturated at 3Gb/s ?
Is he right?

USAFRet

Illustrious

He is correct. A HDD is no faster with SATA III vs SATA II. The drive can't pull data off the platters fast enough to saturate the SATA II bus speed.

PeterZ640

Estimable
Dec 26, 2015

Thanks so much, I sort of beleived him as he killed a sale - part of my desire to do this was twofold to make the pc look more attractive, by offering a bigger and faster capacity. (Plus of course a 2 year warranty in the hdd).
The ssd is the same capacity as the std. Hdd i.e both 500GB. Hence my thoughts on going for the 1TB ( but having huge picture files - 160MB each - I am probably really more storage aware than most.)

He felt as the samsung cost me £120 I could chagre £60 or £70 more and he thought a lot of people would see the ssd as a big benefit. And it might sell faster for decent money.