Send big files over the internet securely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanMihailov

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016
Recently in my new job i had to send very important large files ? What is the safest way because this data shouldn't fall into wrong hands ?

Solution
Yes

The file needs to be encrypted before it leaves your computer if it contains important commercial information or personal information

regards
Mike Barnes

JordanMihailov

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016

For me large files are over 100mb that can't be sent with mail.

JordanMihailov

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016
The problem is not exactly the size but the method and security. Right now i use two sites to do that :
First is a site where i upload my file and get link for download: http://tranzit.dir.bg/.
Second i use this one to encrypt the link and set password for the recipient for security reasons : https://urlcrypt.to/
That the way i do it now but i am not sure if that is the best way.

JordanMihailov

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016
The problem is that i am in my office and i have to send large .dwg files to other engineers working on the project. Some of them work from home and on top of that they are 70+ years old and the use only Autocad and some basic mail client. So you see VPN tunnel here just can't happen. As till now i found that sending them links to download is the easiest way. If someone can suggest me something else. As for the encryption i do it just for safety reasons.

JordanMihailov

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016

Thank you for the suggestion but 100-200mb file can't be reduced to 10mb :( Or i don't know how. Some mails have that limitation still.

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

WinZip & 7-zip provides compression AND encryption and can contain several files

Winzip costs money but 7-Zip is free

I was suggesting encrypting before you upload the file to the cloud or similar resourse
Then the recipient uses the same program to decrypt the file after dowloading.

[The maximum file size for email systems varies a lot, at my place of work the maximum file size is 20MB]

regards
Mike Barnes

JordanMihailov

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016

So you think it's better to encrypt the file rather than the link ?

JordanMihailov

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016

yes, i've discussed that with people from forums with much more knowledge and the result is that encrypting before sending the files and password securing them is maybe the best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.