Senior needs help

pattyjm59

Commendable
May 8, 2016
I've got an older Panasonic five speaker surround sound system that I am trying to hook up to a flatscreen TV hooked up with a Blu-ray player. I am an older adult so I don't understand all the current techno lingo and instructions. I do know what RCA plugs are and HDMI plugs are, but that's about it. Can someone help me and explain it to me in a simple way that I can understand? Thank you.

Sorry, it's a Panasonic SA-HT740.

Solution
it would help if you list the model number of the devices in question so what we can look up some manuals to get an idea what input/outputs you have.

pattyjm59

Commendable
May 8, 2016
Thank you for your response! It's a Panasonic SA-HT740. I did look up a manual for it, but the instructions are all crammed on one page in black-and-white and it is very hard to understand.

unfortunately that is one of the cheap HTIB (home theater in a box) style units. often the cheaper ones are very limited with external inputs (they only work well with the included dvd player). for that unit you are limited to only RCA (red+white) stereo 2.0 audio input from external sources.

you will want to list your tv model number and if its a separate box than the htib that you bought for blueray you may want to list it. or, at minimum what outputs they have.

also, what device are you trying to get sound from that you are having issues with? (for instance you want to get sound from the tv using netflix but its not working or the dvd player in the htib broke so you want to connect a new one up for audio and its not working).

please do be aware that you will not get surround sound from external sources regardless. the best you will get is a faked version if your htib supports pro-logic but its not the same.

your manual http://www.manualslib.com/products/Panasonic-Saht740-Home-Theater-Receiver-19242.html
its rather basic and not very revealing.