Sennheiser G4me One Problem

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Xilo

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Hi,

I recently received my Sennheiser G4ME One and the audio I received was sub-par from what I expected when plugging into the Realtek audio on my Mobo. Bass is muffled, voices are barely audible, music is extremely distorted and unlikeable,and the microphone sounds extremely robotic after testing. Is this a problem with my motherboard? Advice appreciated, as I'd like my investment to be worthwhile.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Unfortunately, it doesn't do Microphone.

If you really need the mic input, go for the Asus Xonar DGX. It's not the best sound but it has an amp and mic. Still an upgrade over what you have.
http://www.amazon.com/Xonar-DGX-PCI-E-GX2-5-Engine/dp/B007TMZ1BK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419395397&sr=1-1&keywords=asus+xonar+dgx

If you can live with so-so mic, get the Fiio. Great sound with a powerful AMP.
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E10K-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00LP3AMC2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419391343&sr=1-1&keywords=fiio+e10k

You can get this monster used for a bit than the Fiio. It's their top of the line card so it sounds great and the mic is crystal clear. Very powerful amp too.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001OV789U/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Xilo

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

I think the SBZ will be a good compromise between sound, mic input, and price.

Rez_

Estimable
Oct 1, 2015
Hi i was wondering if my motherboard could run the PC 360 or the G4me one, my motherboard is the gigabyte Z77P-D3, it's a bit old (about 3 years old). And what would you recommend, PC 360 or G4me one? Which of these two do you think looks the best? (G4me one in the black version). I've heard that the g4me one has a slighty better mic, which would be awesome because i'm looking for at headset with a good mic. I really want a good mic on a headset, because I am thinking about starting Youtube.

Oh BTW. What are the differences? :S :)
And what sound card would you recommend? I've seen Robbaz' setup, and he uses the PC 360 with a BEAST sound card, it makes the mic. almost sound like a studio mic. imo.

Sorry if i'm asking too many questions, i just really want to know.
Thank you. :)

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
You should do fine with integrated sound with either headset as both have an impedance of 50 Ohms. Just bear in mind that you may not be able to get them to higher volumes. Higher impedance means more resistance which means less volume. The only way to counteract this is to get an AMP. Even midrange sound cards have this built in nowadays so you wouldn't need to spend much if you did want to improve sound quality.

Rez_

Estimable
Oct 1, 2015

Okay thanks!!

What about the mic.? Robbaz uses the Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, which costs ALOT. What would you recommend? People say you need an amp for the PC 360 if you want the full potential.

Could i use the Creative Labs SB0880 PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card, which only costs 50$ on amazon. Or the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy PCIe RX 7.1 Sound Card with High Performance Headphone Amp?

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
By "What about the mic.?" do you mean you are asking about mic quality? The PC 360 is alittle bit better all around, including mic quality but it's very expensive. You'd be more than fine with the Game One at about half the price.

If you're looking for the best value sound card at around $50, it's the ASUS Xonar DG with AMP. The next step above that would be the ASUS Xonar Essence STX, which can be had for around $150. That's currently the best internal sound card on the market. The sound card that Robbaz uses is good but it's an older model.

Rez_

Estimable
Oct 1, 2015

Okay thank you!
I can get the PC 360 cheaper here in Denmark, for around 220$ dollars, so i'm gonna get that version.
What i wanted to ask is, will the sound card improve the mic quality? Because i've been thinking about starting on Youtube.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

You might see a very small improvement in mic sound quality with a sound card but the primary factor of Mic quality is going to be the mic. The one included with the PC360 is pretty good and it should be good enough for starting with youtube. Better mics are going to be standalone units.

Rez_

Estimable
Oct 1, 2015
Btw. I just want to know, what are the differences between the PC 360 and the G4me one? How do you know that the mic. on the PC 360 is better? :)

Thank you again.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Allot of people highly regard the PC360 in the PC gaming community for having an excellent mic and good sound. The Game One is the newer model of the two but it doesn't do anything better than the PC360. They reduced component cost and changed the looks but that's about it. I've heard both side by side, and the PC360 has more accurate sound.

Rez_

Estimable
Oct 1, 2015

Oh okay, I just doesn't like the "shiny" mic. Like on the G4me one it's matte black on the mic. and on the PC 360 it's not, do you think I'll notice it?