Sennheiser G4ME ZERO bad sound quality

Honza_

Estimable
Dec 24, 2015
Hello,
I have recently gotten the Sennheiser G4ME ZERO headset. It had amazing reviews everywhere although mine feels really bad (worse then previous HyperX Cloud which I had), especially in CS:GO. I am using soundcard from my motherboard, MSI Z87-G45. I tried updating all my sound drivers. Also one thing I noticed is that Realtek Audio Manager recognizes them as speakers and not as headphones when I connect them to the standarg green audio jack (and I can't change via "connector retasking"). I will be glad for whatever help I can get.

Solution

1) Try the front panel connector instead of line out
2) Set all game settings to headphone
3) Disable all enhancements in the audio properties of the OS

Usually poor audio quality is a result of user error, so that's the first thing you should try to find.
you may want to specify what you do not like about them. i'm guessing you expected them to sound bassy and warm like some of the other people who have created bad sound quality threads like this.

in general the game zero will sound bass-light and a bit anemic, perhaps a bit tinny depending on if you use a warm amplifier with them or not. while a warm amplifier can take the edge off you cant change them into something they are not.

if you were expecting something with more bass, these are not the cans for you. the game one which is based on the hd598 will have a little more bass and overall i would say is a nicer choice but its more "neutral" than anything.

if you want significant bass output, i would look at neither of the above.. perhaps look at a dt770 with soundcard or amp and an external mic like the modmic or moovmic.

Honza_

Estimable
Dec 24, 2015
No, I knew they have neutral sound before. I also have the newer version which requires only 50 ohms so there shouldn't be a problem with my sound card not being able to handle them. After listening to them more today, it's fine for music (better than my previous hyperx clouds) but in-game (tested just csgo), the sound sounds kinda of muffled and not clear. So I don't know if it's some in-game settings which are wrong but if it is, I can't figure out which.

1) Try the front panel connector instead of line out
2) Set all game settings to headphone
3) Disable all enhancements in the audio properties of the OS

Usually poor audio quality is a result of user error, so that's the first thing you should try to find.

Solution