Solved! Sennheiser - open back vs closed back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2018
Hey, I am planning on buying an open back headphone around the range of 100-200$.
I prefer Sennheiser and I had searched a bit and almost all the headphones(598se,579,598sr,599) of open back are having an impedance of 50 ohms. Is it recommended to use only with an amplifier?

With respect to audio quality, would you recommend an open back headphone without amplifier or a closed back with lesser impedance? (569 or 598cs has 23 ohms)

My main purpose is for listening music at home and I am not an audiophile. I am confused if I should go for an open back or closed back headphone.

Solution
D
Get the HD 599s. They used a retuned HD 598 driver and have better bass. They're about the best headphone in the price range for sound and comfort and they're right on the edge of needing an amp. Most phones can easily drive them but they will potentially benefit from a real amp.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HORNc3QQ9mc"][/video]

I've had original HD 598s for years and I still use them for gaming despite having 'better' headphones.

Shoomer

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
Open backs generally sound better, with a "wider" more clear, airy, more natural sound. However they leak sound, so other people will be able to hear them (and you may hear more external sounds). Not great for the sitting on the bus or if you share a room. It comes down to how you use them, but given a choice I would pick open every time.

With regards to an amp, may get some benefit (depending on the source) but it wont be night and day. The difference between 50 and 23 ohms isn't as great as it may appear - there are 600+ ohm headphones around, so it's relative. But it really comes down to the source - phone? PC soundcard? etc

Nov 9, 2018

Thank you! For the response as well as for the quick timing for the same, source would generally be my phone or my laptop.
That was one of the reasons why I was having second thoughts about the open back, also like you said, the audio leakage is also a problem, closed back I can use both outdoor and indoor.
I think IL go for the open back, let's hope for the best

Shoomer

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

Good luck. Oh, and by the way. I owned a pair of the HD 598SRs, was very happy with them. A good buy for the money. And they worked fine with my phone.

D

Deleted member 217926

Get the HD 599s. They used a retuned HD 598 driver and have better bass. They're about the best headphone in the price range for sound and comfort and they're right on the edge of needing an amp. Most phones can easily drive them but they will potentially benefit from a real amp.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HORNc3QQ9mc"][/video]

I've had original HD 598s for years and I still use them for gaming despite having 'better' headphones.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.