Question Sennheiser RS160 & Yamaha TSR7850 Zone 2 Hook-up?

flycaster

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
I have a Yamaha TSR 7850 (from Costco, but similar to Yamaha's RX-V 685). I plan on hooking the headphone into the RCA ports at the back of the AVR and listen to the sound via the 7850's Zone 2 ( can't use the TV, the AVR controls TV sound output.) The reason for this setup is that I want to be able to listen to the TV thru the phones while sound will also come thru the 5.1 setup. If I were to connect the phones directly to headphone jack, that would not allow for sound thru the speakers...just the headphones. The 7850 is bluetooth compatible, but I have read that the RS 160's are not. So my questions are:
  1. Will the proposed headphone setup work using the RCA jacks to back of AVR?
  2. Am I correct in assuming that I will have to get a Y-spilt RCA cable with a 3.5mm female recepticle to hook the 160's micro jack to?
  3. Will the sound signal coming from the AVR to the headphone transmitter need an adapter? Thinking here that the sound from AVR will be digital and the headphones are analog???? If so, can you suggest an adapter?
  4. If I am off-base, can you suggest how to set up the phones.
  5. Given my price range of $100-150, could you suggest any other setup...maybe with bluetooth headphones?
Thanks.

Zone 2 is RCA analog audio out so you need to make sure that the AVR will send analog audio to zone 2 from digital sources (HDMI or SPDIF). Check the manual.
BT can have sync problems so the Senneheisers us an RF transmitter to avoid that.
If you have to use BT headphones then a low latency transmitter and headphones will work.
The zone 2 output should be set to fixed level so you don't overload the input of the amp/Xmtr. You will need to select the source for zone 2 independently of the 5.1 zone.

flycaster

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
Zone 2 is RCA analog audio out so you need to make sure that the AVR will send analog audio to zone 2 from digital sources (HDMI or SPDIF). Check the manual.
BT can have sync problems so the Senneheisers us an RF transmitter to avoid that.
If you have to use BT headphones then a low latency transmitter and headphones will work.
The zone 2 output should be set to fixed level so you don't overload the input of the amp/Xmtr. You will need to select the source for zone 2 independently of the 5.1 zone.
There should be no problem when hooked into Zone 2.

flycaster

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
I need to listen to "reasonable" sound with wireless headphones (not BT) while sound will still come thru the speakers of my 5.1 set up. The choice that I have with my Yamaha TRS 7850 is hook the headphone receiver to the back of my 7850's RCA jacks and select Zone 2 (all sound is handled by the 7850 and I can't/don't want to use the TV). I am considering two headphones with wide spread in cost, but don't know if the cost difference will be worth it. One phone is the Sennheiser RS160 (at about $90) and the other is the Sennheiser 175 (at about $280). I'm not an audiophile, but would like to be able to capture the "fullest" sound given without overspending. In other words, I'm looking for the best sound for the buck between these two phones. BTW, I am already using the 160's directly hooked into an LG C8 (no AVR associated with this arrangement). The sound is good, So, a few questions:

1. There will be times when listening/watching by myself and I can use the 7850's headphone jack: Considering either phone, will the sound be better,worse, same when compared to the RCA/Zone 2 hook up?
  2. Will the 175 truly give me a better sound experience than that of the 160? Is the advertised surround sound function of the 175 worth it?
Thanks for your help.