septre tv channel saving question

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
i have a septre tv and i use ota tv when i scan the channels i get 5 networks with 3 to 5 sub channels, they all come good most of the time. when the weather is iffy a few drop out and when the drop out this tv looses that channel and i have to scan it back in. i never had a tv that would lose the channel just because the station went off the air. but when i asked the septre tech's they told me this is how tv's work. now i'm not into fixing these new tv's much i can replace boards and i have replaced components but as far as hooking up scopes and following voltages anymore no.

tell me does this sound normal to any of you? i think the septre is blowing smoke up me ass and that they have some kind of issue with he firmware. any thoughts on this? and if there is some kind of firmware update where might i get it and how to do it will be nice. thanks

It is normal.
When we watched analog TV a low signal channel would get "snowy" or noisy. Might even become black and white before going away completely.
Digital TV is different. The tuner won't tune in any channels not found when you scanned for channels during set up. When a channel is too low during a scan it doesn't appear in the list of available channels at all or you have to remove it from the list.. If the channel is marginal it can be watched but if the signal drops just enough it doesn't get snowy it just goes away.
There is no firmware upgrade that can help.
There are two options.
The first is a better antenna or adding a signal amplifier to a passive antenna. You can also try reorienting you antenna is it's directional. You have to re-scan after you do that.
The other is to use an outboard tuner in the hope that it is more sensitive then the one in the TV. In a low priced set it's safe to say that they spent as little on the tuner as they could so an external one will almost surely be better.
Checkout
https://www.channelmaster.com

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
i have 3 antennas up there now. but what is not sounding correct is i have 3 other tvs and not one of them do it only the sceptre tv. and i have ad t tvs on the same channel when this happened and one would come back and the other would lose the channel that is not correct to have a tv loose the channel. it should at least stay in the programmed section. so what if you unplugged the tv then you would have to re scan. well none of the other tv's require me to re scan if the power goes out. this sceptre if i loose the signal for even a few seconds it forgets the channel.