Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am a little confused on how to run the SETI Driver software and unfortunately there is not a lot of information at the site to download the software.

I can't seem to get it to work right. When you run this should you only run SETI Driver and not the graphical version of SETI at the same time?

I think I got it to download all of the work units that I wanted to Cache (8 WUs) but then not sure if all was OK or not. Both SetiDriver and SETi@Home were running at the same time.

Anyway, was pissed when I returned from a 3 day weekend and only one unit was completed instead all 8. I fooled around with the software then I think I got it to work.

However, not sure. Anyone use SETI-Driver?

jeffg007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not sure if you read this or not.
<A HREF="http://www.teamlambchop.com/tips/setidriver.htm" target="_new">http://www.teamlambchop.com/tips/setidriver.htm</A>

Jeff

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Looks like they just put that article up in response to my question. Wow, how nice of them. Actually that article was helpful. Thanks for pointing it out Jeff007, see you at the top of the Tom's Hardware Guide list when I catch up to you in about 1 year! I am at the bottom now, trying to catch and pass APriest and stay away from Steelrain who has caught up to me and is right on my arse.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, I am impressed, how many PCs are you running SETI on? I am running on 4 mediocre to slow ones and at optimal conditions I can do maybe 7 a day, but the PCs aren't always on 24 hours a day, so I am doing more like 5 a day. I am right behind you now. -THGMAN

PS: Good luck passing APriest and Hammy, they are neck and neck now, but only doing about the same as me 5 Work units a day. They won't notice you until you blow them like you blew by me.

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/cgi?cmd=team_lookup&name=tom's+hardware+guide

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OK I took care of that, he is no longer out in front. My god, how could I ever let a Piccachu Pocket Monster pass me? How mortifying.

Hey Steelrainn, you did like 3 more units in the past 7 hours. But look at Apriest, he pulled ahead of Hammy with two more units in about 7 hours. I think he is still not going fast enough to hold you back, but he is pulling away from Hammy. THGMAN

jeffg007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ahhhhh looks like we have some Competition, good luck and try to catch me! My big run is going to end soon. I was useing 4-5 733's pc's at work but they will have to go to end users soon :( I'll be down to 2 733's and my home 850 t-bird.

jeff

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am not really big competition YET, as I just saw you are out of my league, and did 6 work units in the past 12 hours.
Only two 733's and an 850 T-Bird soon...hmm...I might be able to catch up, in about 6 months then instead of 1 year. :)

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is a sad day, but we can bounce back. Never say die! We will be victorious! The Baitshop is nothing. We can easily beat them with Tom's support and we will move on to bigger challenges.

OK got to run, time to upgrade this PC of mine. Someone needs to come up with a calculation about a PC's age, like dog years you know. 1 Dog Year equals 7 people years. 1 month in a computer's life equals equals how many years in a human's life. I suppose you should break it down component by component because some parts live longer than others. Like my CPU is it already really old for a CPU, I think about 1 or 1.5 years. However, my trusty speakers can live quite a long time before I have to bathe, feed and change their adult diapers. :)

G

Well just look on the bright side, you've made the top ten a little early:)
Oh ya and I'm number one again;)

jeffg007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
lol Thanks! By xmas I should be number 5 on the list. Have you notice that the WU's are smaller the last couple of days? I use to get 2.85 TeraFLOPs. Now I get about 2.17. I wonder is any one else getting smaller WU's?

SETI Forever!

Jeff

G

Looks good, you're only about 164 behind Septhor who's in 5th place.
I hadn't noticed the smaller wu's, but the one on this computer is 2.18, I'll check some of the other computers I'm using.

G

Bow before the Might SetiMaster!!!!

It's actually a title bestowed upon me by Fredi.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Galanz,

Do you know why Super Coolin is not there anymore? What's the story. If its too juicy for publication, send me a private message.

Yes, I noticed the work units are going faster lately but I thought that was just me because I switched to using Seti Driver and the Command Line version recently.

Regards,
Michael