Setting up a receiver with a tv, soundbar and sub, as well as dvd and other gaming components

NJPhil_10

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
What is the proper way to setup a receiver (w/an hd pass-through if that matters) with a samsung 4k ultra hd tv and soundbar w/subwoofer for the best sound and least amount of connections? Also would like this to function while adding on a dvd player and possible game consoles to use with all speakers if this will work using the different channels or sources on the receiver?

*TV has 3 HDMI inputs and so does receiver, i believe both only have one optical audio port

Solution
If you get an HDMI input selector you could would only need one cable from it to the TV.
Now you have as many HMDI inputs as you need.
Audio from the TV to the soundbar would be with an optical cable.
That would be the minimum number of cables.
If you want to do surround sound eventually then give back the soundbar/sub and get 2 passive speakers and a powered subwoofer. Next you would add the center speaker and later the rears.
Well the problem is most soundbars have an amp already in them, so the receiver doesn't work with it unless you plug everything into the receiver then optical output to the soundbar, but then why use the receiver and just plug everything into the TV and then come optical out from the TV to the sound bar.

NJPhil_10

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

Thanks for the info! So my original intent was to minimize the amount of wires going to the tv up the wall and maybe eventually add some more surround speakers, but in your opinion is this just more problematic? And would you just recommend eliminating the receiver if i can still return it at this point?

If you get an HDMI input selector you could would only need one cable from it to the TV.
Now you have as many HMDI inputs as you need.
Audio from the TV to the soundbar would be with an optical cable.
That would be the minimum number of cables.
If you want to do surround sound eventually then give back the soundbar/sub and get 2 passive speakers and a powered subwoofer. Next you would add the center speaker and later the rears.

Solution