Shareholders Ask Why Amazon Sells Violent Games, But Not Guns

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xerxces

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
I see all these comments supporting Amazon and bashing the logic behind the argument. It is a valid argument. They are speaking of selling gun parts, which should be fine. As it turns out, violent games do alter SOME peoples thinking. Heck, that crazy dude said he used MW to train himself, lol

w0_od

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Hmm i am not sure what exactly the shareholder intends. Does he actually want Amazon to start selling guns and ammo ? or is he actually trying to fugue his conscience of being a shareholder by waving a strawman type argument . In any case i am glad Cooper does not live in my country as we got enough crazy around here

Morkintash

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
"But as staunch defenders of the Second Amendment, we would like to know how Amazon made this decision"
Haha, money ya dumb ass! There wasn't anyone there years ago to stop them from selling violent media, but now since some idiot shoots up a school, well whoa hey! It must have been them video games and violent movies that inspired him, because what human could possibly do such a horrible thing?

Morkintash

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
"But as staunch defenders of the Second Amendment, we would like to know how Amazon made this decision"
Haha, money ya dumb ass! There wasn't anyone there years ago to stop them from selling violent media, but now since some idiot shoots up a school, well whoa hey! It must have been them video games and violent movies that inspired him, because what human could possibly do such a horrible thing?

Morkintash

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
This is beyond asinine. Selling a gun is very different from selling something depicting someone using a gun (or other such weapon in violent fictional media).
And this part gets me the most: "What's to stop a teen from signing on to mom's account and buying a violent game with her permission but without her investigating the actual product?"
Umm...the fact that Amazon has the option to force a user to enter their password anytime you try to purchase something? This is entirely a home issue and IMHO does not require amazon to do anything further. I think Amazon is already one of the most ethical retail outlets without sacrificing service to users.

xxsk8er101xx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Why limit it to violent video games? How about violent movies? violent cartoons?
What's considered violent? Is a bugs bunny cartoon violent?
Violent <something> is subjective and it's relative. You can't ban something based on feelings.
A gun on the other hand is a weapon or tool regulated by the government. Completely different things. One is based on feeling and this is based on the fact it's a regulated tool.

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
I bet most people don't know Amazon also sells "adult novelties" including toys, lubes, and sex furniture, which might offend some people. Who the F cares? They can sell what they want to sell. Amazon has made themselves into a 1-Stop shop for everything. While I understand the logic behind the complaint, fact is, if you don't like the company, SELL your stock.

zeratul600

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Damn, it makes me so mad everytime that someones uses the argument "parent cannot always control their kids" it is so irresponsible and lazy, my parents weren't always there to control me, but they did educated me and and gave me values, so I could behave properly when they wasn't there. So video games or media cannot be held accountable for bad parenting, neither they should fix parents lazyness and incompetence.

G

"What's to stop a teen from signing on to mom's account and buying a violent game with her permission but without her investigating the actual product?"
A password.
Did I miss where Amazon announced a babysitting service? God forbid a parent be bothered to do any parenting! This argument isn't about keeping the content from kids (if someone wants to screw up their kids, that's their right) or even parents being lazy- this is about these people wanting no one to have access to this content, even other adults. This is about them trying to police and censor media for everyone of all ages.
Portraying violence in media is a first amendment issue. "As staunch defenders of the Second Amendment," these guys apparently can't tell the difference.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
You could ask any retailer that sells video games this same question. Should the local GameStop start selling guns now?
This seems like one of those emotional appeals with no foundation world leaders throw out there to rally people who don't think on their own.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Guns have no place on an Internet Based system. There isn't a positive verification method to ensure that guns would be sold to the person making the order. Also, there is the issue of the gun(s) never making it to the buyer also.
The US needs to find other things to worry about then the ownership of guns..

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Guns have no place on an Internet Based system. There isn't a positive verification method to ensure that guns would be sold to the person making the order. Also, there is the issue of the gun(s) never making it to the buyer also.
The US needs to find other things to worry about then the ownership of guns..

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
@hotroderx
In order to buy a game or movie from Amazon you need a credit card. At least in my country, you need to be an adult to have a credit card. If a parent gives their children a game or movie without doing the proper research it's the parents fault, not Amazon. But of course it's a lot easier to blame games and movies for the problems of a society than addressing those problems.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Amazon does have certain guns for sale on their site.
Like the SMG 22 Full Auto Belt Fed Pellet Gun (Lots of fun) or the Sam Yang Big Bore 909S air rifle which is a great hunting rifle or many other air guns.

timaishu

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I stopped reading at "manhunt". They obviously have no idea what they are talking about because they are referencing a videogame released 10 years ago.

jesot

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
"gun crimes have fallen dramatically over the past 20 years"
...and the number of gun-related games has gone up dramatically over the past 20 years. Your entire post is invalid. You claim that violence and violent media are related, then post a statistic that shows that nothing you said is validated.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
People that ask these questions are the same morons that think if you have a gun you are automatically crazy and have it to kill people randomly... so their natural thinking about "violent" games is that they MAKE you kill people.
These people that say that they don't have time to check what their kids are doing are the same people asking these dumb questions and want government to baby-sit their children because they are not responsible themselves...stop making your kid problem affect me. Don't want him/her to order shit with your account? There is a password for a reason. Don't want them to use a computer? Then make a log-in with a password.
I say Amazon should stat selling gun parts... because it is a hunk of perfectly docile metal/polymer that does absolutely nothing to harm anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.