Sharp 45" Aquos Models

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Hi,

I was perusing the Sharp web page for the new 45" model
they have. They actually have 3 models (LC-45GD6U, LC-45GD4U,
LC-45GX6U) but from the specs they seem identical (except for
they form factor).

Does anyone have a site the compares them?

Thanks
Felix
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"F. C." <fc@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1c01f9ed5c2a6f34989701@news.active-news.com...
>
>
> Hi,
>
> I was perusing the Sharp web page for the new 45" model
> they have. They actually have 3 models (LC-45GD6U, LC-45GD4U,
> LC-45GX6U) but from the specs they seem identical (except for
> they form factor).
>
> Does anyone have a site the compares them?
>
> Thanks
> Felix

I sent them a note on this. In spite of the on-line specs, only one
actually has a built-in HD tuner. The others are "HD ready." The model
with the unique number has the tuner. If you price them on-line, it will be
the more expensive one.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Robert B. Peirce wrote:
> "F. C." <fc@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:MPG.1c01f9ed5c2a6f34989701@news.active-news.com...
>
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I was perusing the Sharp web page for the new 45" model
>>they have. They actually have 3 models (LC-45GD6U, LC-45GD4U,
>>LC-45GX6U) but from the specs they seem identical (except for
>>they form factor).
>>
>>Does anyone have a site the compares them?
>>
>>Thanks
>>Felix
>
>
> I sent them a note on this. In spite of the on-line specs, only one
> actually has a built-in HD tuner. The others are "HD ready." The model
> with the unique number has the tuner. If you price them on-line, it will be
> the more expensive one.

All of the 45" Aquos models have an ATSC tuner. The difference in the
model numbers reflect position of speakers and internal vs external AVC.
GD4U = speakers on side, GD6U = speakers on bottom, GX6U (first model
shipped) = external AVC box, speakers on bottom.

There has been extensive discussions on the Sharp 45" Aquos on the
avsforum.com plasma/LCD forum. The biggest problem the HTPC/gaming users
have run into is that the external AVC will not pass a 1080p signal
through. Have to bypass it and connect directly to the display.

Alan
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Alan Figgatt" <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:DbqdneMid4mkIgXcRVn-qA@comcast.com...
> Robert B. Peirce wrote:
> > "F. C." <fc@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > news:MPG.1c01f9ed5c2a6f34989701@news.active-news.com...
> >
> >>
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I was perusing the Sharp web page for the new 45" model
> >>they have. They actually have 3 models (LC-45GD6U, LC-45GD4U,
> >>LC-45GX6U) but from the specs they seem identical (except for
> >>they form factor).
> >>
> >>Does anyone have a site the compares them?
> >>
> >>Thanks
> >>Felix
> >
> >
> > I sent them a note on this. In spite of the on-line specs, only one
> > actually has a built-in HD tuner. The others are "HD ready." The model
> > with the unique number has the tuner. If you price them on-line, it
will be
> > the more expensive one.
>
> All of the 45" Aquos models have an ATSC tuner. The difference in the
> model numbers reflect position of speakers and internal vs external AVC.
> GD4U = speakers on side, GD6U = speakers on bottom, GX6U (first model
> shipped) = external AVC box, speakers on bottom.
>
> There has been extensive discussions on the Sharp 45" Aquos on the
> avsforum.com plasma/LCD forum. The biggest problem the HTPC/gaming users
> have run into is that the external AVC will not pass a 1080p signal
> through. Have to bypass it and connect directly to the display.

It appears sharp doesn't know what it is talking about.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Robert B. Peirce wrote:
> "Alan Figgatt" <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>Robert B. Peirce wrote:
>>>I sent them a note on this. In spite of the on-line specs, only one
>>>actually has a built-in HD tuner. The others are "HD ready." The model
>>>with the unique number has the tuner. If you price them on-line, it
>>>will be the more expensive one.
>>
>> All of the 45" Aquos models have an ATSC tuner. The difference in the
>>model numbers reflect position of speakers and internal vs external AVC.
>>GD4U = speakers on side, GD6U = speakers on bottom, GX6U (first model
>>shipped) = external AVC box, speakers on bottom.
>>
>> There has been extensive discussions on the Sharp 45" Aquos on the
>>avsforum.com plasma/LCD forum. The biggest problem the HTPC/gaming users
>>have run into is that the external AVC will not pass a 1080p signal
>>through. Have to bypass it and connect directly to the display.
>
>
> It appears sharp doesn't know what it is talking about.

What are you talking about? GD = Aquos G model with digital ATSC
tuner; GX = Aquos G with external AVC box. If you download the manuals
for the 45" Aquos, the manual for both the 45GX6U and 45GD4U discuss how
to hook up to the digital tuner and select channel. I did not download
the manual for the 45GD6U, but that should be the same as the GD4U
except for the pics of the TV and diagrams showing where the speakers
are located.

The initial Aquos models such as the 37G4U don't have the ATSC tuner
or cablecard slot. That is added with the 37GD4U models, for example.

Are you saying Sharp does not know their own product line? Or did they
ship some LC-45GD4U models to BB without ATSC tuners?

Alan
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

In article <oeqdnZcz_OEEjQTcRVn-rg@comcast.com>,
Alan Figgatt <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote:

> Robert B. Peirce wrote:
> > It appears sharp doesn't know what it is talking about.
>
> What are you talking about? GD = Aquos G model with digital ATSC
> tuner; GX = Aquos G with external AVC box. If you download the manuals
> for the 45" Aquos, the manual for both the 45GX6U and 45GD4U discuss how
> to hook up to the digital tuner and select channel. I did not download
> the manual for the 45GD6U, but that should be the same as the GD4U
> except for the pics of the TV and diagrams showing where the speakers
> are located.
>
> The initial Aquos models such as the 37G4U don't have the ATSC tuner
> or cablecard slot. That is added with the 37GD4U models, for example.
>
> Are you saying Sharp does not know their own product line? Or did they
> ship some LC-45GD4U models to BB without ATSC tuners?

This is what I received from Sharp. I interpreted it to mean that the
GD has a built-in HD tuner while the other two devices were only "HD
ready." It is possible I am mis-reading what they are saying, but I
don't think so.


From: aquossupport@sharpsec.com
Subject: RE: New Contact Us Product Support Submission for AQUOS
LC-TVs
Date: November 10, 2004 10:49:51 AM EST
To: bob@peirce-family.com

Dear Sir,

Thank you for contacting Sharp Electronics Corp.

The "GD" series has a built in HD tuner.

Please advise if you have any further questions.

Kim Davis
Customer Service Representative
CE Products Group
800-237-4277

-----Original Message-----
From: bob@peirce-family.com [mailto:bob@peirce-family.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 1:59 PM
To: aquossupport@sharpsec.com
Subject: New Contact Us Product Support Submission for AQUOS LC-TVs

DATE/TIME SENT
11/9/2004 2:59:21 PM

PRODUCT SELECTION MODEL NUMBER SERIAL NUMBER
AQUOS LC-TVs LC-45GX6U

COMMENT
What is the difference between the LC-45GX6U and the LC-45GD6U? The
literature I downloaded from your site makes them seem to be identical,
but the pricing I am seeing is different.

--
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]
rbp AT cooksonpeirce.com [Office]
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Robert Peirce wrote:
>
> This is what I received from Sharp. I interpreted it to mean that the
> GD has a built-in HD tuner while the other two devices were only "HD
> ready." It is possible I am mis-reading what they are saying, but I
> don't think so.
>
>
> From: aquossupport@sharpsec.com
> Subject: RE: New Contact Us Product Support Submission for AQUOS
> LC-TVs
> Date: November 10, 2004 10:49:51 AM EST
> To: bob@peirce-family.com
>
> Dear Sir,
>
> Thank you for contacting Sharp Electronics Corp.
>
> The "GD" series has a built in HD tuner.
>
> Please advise if you have any further questions.
>
> Kim Davis
> Customer Service Representative
> CE Products Group
> 800-237-4277

So you are taking a sloppy short reply from a customer service
representative over the specs and manuals listed on the website? If you
want to learn about the LC-45 Aquos, download the manuals from the
sharpusa.com website and read the long threads on avsforum.com. The
reply is sort of correct, the GX model has the ATSC (HD if you must call
it that) in the external AVC box, so it is not "internal".

Alan
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 01:01:19 -0500, Alan Figgatt
<afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote:

> So you are taking a sloppy short reply from a customer service
>representative over the specs and manuals listed on the website? If you

At least he got a reply...

I emailed sharp quite a simple question -- does such-and-such
a model support picture-in-picture.

Their reply was call the 800 number.

And, the signature of the person was sending the email was:

Jane Doe
Support
....and the 800 number

I wondered if I called the number she emailed me, if I'd get her.

Maybe she didn't want to put the answer in writing. You don't
want those product specs getting out to those darn customers.

--
- Lee
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Streaming Video & TVs 0
T Streaming Video & TVs 16
M Streaming Video & TVs 2
K Streaming Video & TVs 2
G Streaming Video & TVs 1
J Streaming Video & TVs 4
S Streaming Video & TVs 1
T Streaming Video & TVs 2
C Streaming Video & TVs 1
P Streaming Video & TVs 1
R Streaming Video & TVs 2
S Streaming Video & TVs 3
E Streaming Video & TVs 1
M Streaming Video & TVs 1
M Streaming Video & TVs 1
2 Streaming Video & TVs 2
T Streaming Video & TVs 1
D Streaming Video & TVs 1
M Streaming Video & TVs 2
H Streaming Video & TVs 1

ASK THE COMMUNITY