MeganElisabeth

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016
I am looking to purchase a pretty decent gaming PC and for sure want a 4K tv to display it on. I have been unsatisified with my 1080p HD tv for quite some time now so decided to take advantage of a pretty decently rated 55" Samsung with a $200 savings. I planned on then spending around $500 on a 4K tv when prices drop making way for the new models in the spring. However, I am now starting to rethink and wondering if I should return the $500 HD Samsung and combine that money to get a more expensive 4K tv..

I have read quite a bit into it and everyone seems to have their own opinions on which is best at this point in time and I would like a more personal input to my current situation. I want a tv that will display quite nice 720p/1080p content as well as gaming in 1080p and 4K depending on how older games look in the different definitions. My biggest concern is how 720p/1080p quality tv shows and movies will look on the 4K tv. Due to the up scaling many people say it's worse yet some people say it's much sharper and the picture quality rating is much higher than HD tvs on reviewing sites. If the picture doesn't look worse does it look the same at least? I try to compare the upscaling on 1080p from 480p which most of the time looks better in my opinion.. a lot more crisp/sharp. In your opinion is the upscaling from 1080p to 4K pretty similar? Better? Worse? More sharp? The comparison images I've seen seem to indicate this as the image looks sharper.. however, some say it does look worse or not quite as good because it isn't native. I'm just looking for any opinions at all on this so I can make a decision soon on whether or not to take the Samsung back before the 30 days is up.

So, my options are...

1- Keep the Samsung (pretty satisfied with the picture aside from watching movies which is a little less great.) and get a less expensive 4K tv before new spring models arrive, therefore, a price drop strictly for gaming and 4K content.

2. Return the Samsung and get a more expensive UHD tv to watch tv shows, movies, 4K content, as well as gaming.

What would you do and why?

Also, on sites such as rtings.com the UHD tv's (mainly looking at picture quality) are much much higher than the HD tv's. The Samsung is 6.9 and most all of the UHD tv's are 8 and above, why do you think this is since many say since it's not native 1080p looks not nearly the same if not worse? Are they rating simply for the limited 4K content that can be displayed or do you think upscaling image quality as well? I want to have the absolute best 1080p quality I can. Therefore, for that specific reason which do you think would be the best option?

These are pretty big decisions for me since I will not be able to get new of any of these for quite some time so thank you very very much for taking the time to read all of this as well as giving me your opinion!

Wiz33

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
If you did not get a KS8000 or above, you did not get full HDR 10 spec. That said, as long as you did not buy a KU6xxx then you're still kinda ok since having a 10 bit panel with WCG and HDR premium will still gives a noticeable improvement. The built in upscaler does a decent job on 1080p content, while they will not be close to a 4K UHD disc. they will be better than 1080p, probably closer but not as good as 4K stream from Netflix/Amazon

MeganElisabeth

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016
@Wiz33,

Thanks so much for the quick response! Nope, I got a J6200. So you're saying the 1080p will look that much better on a 4K? I wonder why so many say the upscaling makes it look worse or the same?

Wiz33

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Do you mean a JU6200? I have a 40" JU7500 and a 65" KS9500. I use OTA antenna to TIVO and and my playback is noticeable better than on my older LG plasma 1080p. now if you are getting your TV from cable, then it might be a problem as Cable company usually compress TV signal so the playback on 4K TV may or may not be an improvement.

MeganElisabeth

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016

Yep, that's the one. Ah, I'm definitely seriously considering switching to OTA then as I did not know that cable companes compressed. Makes a lot of sense why the quality is different now. Are your tv's 4K? I'm trying to decide which would show the absolute best 1080p quality if the cable company was completely out of the picture.

Wiz33

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Well, you get what you pay for. Both of mine are 4K. the JU7500 is a 2015 model and only have a 8 bit panel. The 2016 KU7xxx is a 10 bit panel and will have better color. The KS9500 is pretty much the best 4K LCD set around without FALD and does look noticeably better.

MeganElisabeth

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016

MeganElisabeth

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016

Thank you so so much for all of your input! I never would've imagined that the quality could be so very affected by the cable company.