Sharp LCD60LE835U dead after power surge

Kris Shewokis

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
I picked up the tv from a friend and he told me if I can fix it I can keep it, so I figured it couldn't hurt to give it a shot.

Apparently there was a power surge through his cable which was connected via HDMI. Now the TV is dead, no clicking or anything when you plug it in and try to turn it on. No blinking lights, nothing.

I looked into replace both main boards, the power board and then the cable connection board. I could do both for under $200 but I am not sure if that would solve the problem. Is there anything I should check before hand so I know if that would fix the tv. The TV is a little over a year old and I am shocked that such an expensive tv would not have some sort of protection against there surges. Thanks for any help

MC_K7

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
Sharp gives long warranty for their high end model, I think they have at least a 3-year warranty, if not 5. I think your friend should have contacted Sharp to get the TV replaced. I guess surges must be covered, or in case of doubts just don't mention it to Sharp, he should just tell them that it stopped working all of a sudden.

Anyways, now that it is in your hands, I would definitely try to repair it, but don't know how to do so, I can't help you. All I know is that one of my friend repaired his TV by replacing one of the boards you mentioned and it worked. Just like you he was hesitant to pay 150$ for a board when he wasn't sure it would work, but luckily it worked for him.

Kris Shewokis

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013

Thanks, I mean investing $200 isn't real a lot if it works.