Sharp's 80-inch Aquos LED LCD TV Will Cost $5,500

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]kind of pointless, even @ 55" you get to see the low pixel density. But then again, this beats any 1080p projector hands down when it comes to contrast.[/citation]

I do agree. I have a Mitsubishi HC3800 with excellent gamut and 4000:1 contrast at about 100" in my room (limited by the ceiling, haha), which is superb, but I have been somewhat jealous of the blacks produced by some high end TVs, especially the newer full LEDs. MY WORD, talk about rich blacks!! (but it's not 100" and I can't get it for $850, like I did my projector)

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Need moar pixel density. My 55" is adequate, but an 80" (or even a 70") would be awesome. It should really be "Quad HD" or whatever its called (7680x4320). Sure there's no current programming for it, but still, I don't want giant pixels.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Pixel density at that size isn't the only problem. The real problem is motion blur/motion artifacts. I've seen problems with one of their 46" inch sets with this issue at 120Hz. Keep in mind, the larger the set, the more distance an object has to travel across the screen. So, if an object has to go across the screen on an 80" set, it will be traveling twice as fast per inch of screen as it would on a 40" set. At the very least, 240Hz should be a bare minimum for this screen size.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]80 inches! WOW! Too bad I can't afford one. On the other hand don't get too excited about the Quattron quad-pixel technology. According to several well known consumer oriented publications the yellow is not part of the International film and tv standards. Consider it an advertising gimmick.[/citation]

very TRUE , and like most new tech they compeletely forget to mention that the SOURCE media has to use and support the technology for it to actually make a damn bit of diference. becasue you can't add color that is not there already

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]stevo777[/nom]Pixel density at that size isn't the only problem. The real problem is motion blur/motion artifacts. I've seen problems with one of their 46" inch sets with this issue at 120Hz. Keep in mind, the larger the set, the more distance an object has to travel across the screen. So, if an object has to go across the screen on an 80" set, it will be traveling twice as fast per inch of screen as it would on a 40" set. At the very least, 240Hz should be a bare minimum for this screen size.[/citation]

that funny i got a 42 inch LG , that is at 60 hz and i have no issue with motion blur or ghosting. even in video games i get a great exprience ??? talking about you saying you had issue on a 46 at 120 granted a 46 is a bit larger than a 42 but not by much , maybe it's soemthgin with the brand ???

someoneelse

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]I did the math on pixel size-- 80" and 1080p would work out to 0.85 mm2.
.The iPhone 4 is at .006 mm2. Scaling that up to an 80" diagonal would require something like 23000x13000 resolution.[/citation]

congratulations you have just invented my perfect television. 12,960p. I'm not upgrading until they make one.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]that funny i got a 42 inch LG , that is at 60 hz and i have no issue with motion blur or ghosting. even in video games i get a great exprience ??? talking about you saying you had issue on a 46 at 120 granted a 46 is a bit larger than a 42 but not by much , maybe it's soemthgin with the brand ???[/citation]
It's possible that a brand might make a difference. Sometimes, manufacturers can fudge numbers--who knows. But, the 46" was a Sharp, so this 80" is the same brand. I have a 480Hz 55" Vizio that I bought after I returned the 46" Sharp model and the Vizio is great.

G

Well I just purchase a 70" 3D TV & I can't figure out why so many people have all these compliants about it. My Sharp works just great & I had no problem installing it. So, all u people suck it up & just get one.

G

Just went and bought this big bad boy can't wait to to hang it on my wall and watch some movies

tjewel89

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
uhmm is this tv 3d (real d) compatable? I was reading about it and dont see it anywhere. This would be a pretty bad@ss tv to watch for our movie nights and for FOOTBALL!!!!!

G

I have a 75" DLP projector I can watch Football and game on. In my man cave AKA my bedroom. Next projector will be a 1080P projector when the price drops below $1000.

G

I think the price is stupid I can buy 4 55" tvs and link them or put one in every room for the price of one of sharps new 80" plus we r in a recession I would def recommend they reconsider the srp before this campaign becomes an utter failure

G

We have an 82" rear projection now. If youre close to it, yes its pixelated a bit, but our living room is 22' and using HDMI really clears up the picture a lot. I would be willing to bet the LED will be even clearer. I will be buying one of these this march. Its just too bad that they are only 3D ready and not full 3-d. And $5500 isnt too much for a tv that size. If you shop at a place like HH Gregg, you can get a better deal because they only make commission so are willing to deal with you.
Anyone wanna buy an 82" Mitzubishi?

marose

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
5,500 for a semi mediocre 80 inch tV? The LG OLED TV made me drool at ces. The release date has been announced. You can expect them in stores by June 2012. The price tag has been unreleased yet but some speculation estimates put it at around $6,500. Not bad at all. A much better bet than this TV.

G

I just measured the wall in my living room and will wait for the 160" model to come out. Then I can sit in the neighbors living room and watch it over in my house. Or I could put it out in the yard and park the car in front of it and pretend I am at the drive in movie!!! Just hate that damn speaker hanging on the window though LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.