Sharp's New LED Lamps Are High Tech Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Too bad they are like $50 for a single bulb. Even if I used the light 10 hours a day it would take forever to pay itself off!

gcolefla

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2007
you would never need to buy that light bulb again though, as long as it actually lasts 40,000 hrs. I think i would play around with that white level a lot though to try to match the outside light.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I like this technology but the price for a light bulb is stupidly high. And honestly, why does everything have to become overly complicated? Let's put a remote control for our light bulbs. No! All I want is a screw in light bulb that works! So I'm supposed to put this remote for my light bulb shade of white, next to my DVD player remote, TV remote, Media center remote, blu ray remote, and my DVR remote. OKKKKKKKKKK

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Unfortunately as with any new technology it's very very expensive at first. Every time I mention something on sale to either of my parents I get the "You know how much that would've cost in 19XX" (That is even if it existed in that model/speed/performance level) They will come down in price when they become mainstream. I remember paying 100$ for 2GB of DDR2 667 memory, a while ago I got 4GB of DDR2 800 for 9.99 after rebates. Things change, and the price will drop.

Not to mention some people would find a light remote very entertaining and worth the $50 ^_^

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Ya this isnt new tech. CREE has been out there selling their XLamps for years now. They have this cool chip that is adjustable allowing you to specify what color temp you want. Friend of mine has the recessed lighting in his house, using 6w of energy with a great illumination.

Another thing CREE has been selling is their industrial lighting. The Pentagon as well as cities like Anchorage have installed their lighting drastically reducing the energy cost as well as the maintenance required to replace.

I myself have some of my investment in CREE. The household and commercial LED lighting revolution is just starting. 5 years from now they will be as common as CF bulbs.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]I'll wait for the remote controled LED disco bulb before stretching my wallet that far.[/citation]

+1

Staying alive staying alive...

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
LED bulbs last forever take forever for it to pay itself back vs incondecent or compact etc. But main reason to buy it is you can get the color right instead of reading the bulb packages for the tone you like and you'll probably wont have to replace it in like 10 years or more.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom] I remember paying 100$ for 2GB of DDR2 667 memory, a while ago I got 4GB of DDR2 800 for 9.99 after rebates. [/citation]

I paid over $200.00 (on sale) for 4MB (not GB) of Non-Parity SIMM Memory (could not afford the EDO, too expensive) for my 486 back in early 1994. Ironically, if you can still find SIMM Memory it's probably the same price due to the lack of supply lol

Andraxxus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Yeah the price is a little heafty but if they actually work 40000 hours then they will last at a usage of 7 hours every day no less than 15(nearly 16) years so yeah pay 50$ for something that lasts 15 years seems like a good thing (most likely you'll end up changing it because it will become obsolete).

G

Let's see ... minimum lifetime is 40,000 hours. At 8 hours use per day that's almost 14 years. I can see why not attracting bugs suddenly become an issue.

Futhermore, it's 1/8th of a cent per running hour and it uses between 1/25th and 1/35th the power of a standard light bulb, or between half and a third of CCFL lightbulb.

Yeah, it's actually a good investment in the long run. You just don't normally think of light bulbs as something that is as permanent as the house it's in.

spiketheaardvark

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
More efficient great, longer life that's nice, color adjustment . . . little much for a light bulb, but if last for 15 years why not. But the best part, is it's not chuck full of mercury like a cfl.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]Igot1forya[/nom]I paid over $200.00 (on sale) for 4MB (not GB) of Non-Parity SIMM Memory (could not afford the EDO, too expensive) for my 486 back in early 1994. Ironically, if you can still find SIMM Memory it's probably the same price due to the lack of supply lol[/citation]

Hey I paid the same price for my 486 around '94. I thought I was getting a great deal too! Going from 4Mb - 8Mb of memory back then was such a huge leap in performance.

G

Like everything else, time will lower the cost. What will hurt acceptance at the beginning (besides costs) is that 560 lumens, is a bit more light that a 40 watt incandescent bulb puts out. I'm getting old. I need all the light I can get....

saturn77

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Sam's Club offers 3 LED bulbs that each replace a 40 watt incadecent for under $20. LEDs don't come in higher outputs yet or they are not very common. When they sell 60 watt replacements, I will make the jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.