Solved! Shift keys not working on laptop urgent issue

ItsRebelD

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016
Hi. I am using a Lenovo G70 and for the past few days my shift keys stopped working. It's a huge problem as I have a manuscript to turn in very soon and I can't really write without using the shift keys.

as for now I've tried the following;

-reset my laptop to the factory settings, that included erasing all my files with the exception of a small partition where I kept my manuscript and only that
-update the keyboard driver/uninstall it and then restarting the laptop
-checked my region and language settings, it's all set to the US, although I do not live in the US...wondering if that might be the problem, but it's almost impossible.
-remapped my shift keys using keymapper or smartkey, something like that. The weird thing is that those changes persisted even though I reseted my laptop, but even so, I solved nothing

I want to add that I can't get a 3rd party keyboard these days, but the fact that even remapped, those keys didn't work could mean that the problem is software-based. My laptop didn't suffer any thrusts or stuff like that, it's not even warming up.

Also, an interesting to note is that sometimes, the shift keys begin to work, but only for a short period of time, before failing again. I really have no idea what makes them work. I cleaned both shift keys on my keyboard, although aside from some dust, they were clean to begin with.

What can I do/ I am really on the edge with the time limit...

ItsRebelD

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016

yes, everything else works just fine. The shift keys are not working most of the time, with minor periods, like 2-3 minutes when they work.

Corwin65

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015
Borrow someone's keyboard and plug it in. If not, find one for about $10 or less. I bought an emergency backup keyboard from Microcenter for about $4.

Yes this is a temporary fix but it seems you have no time to work on fixing your laptop right now.

ItsRebelD

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016

The only keyboard I could find was too old to be connected to my laptop, I didn't have the required exit port. As for buying one, I can't do that either. I'm far from the city, and I cannot arrive quickly enough. I was hoping for a software-based solution, because taking another keyboard is really not an option right now