Should I buy an ASUS ROG for gaming?

darth_yoda

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
I am looking for a laptop that can use for programming and gaming. So i was looking at two laptops ASUS ZX53VW ans ASUS ROG GL753VD.... Now obviously the 753VD has better specs but I wanted to ask.. will the performance difference be worth the price? The ZX53VW costs me around $779 and it comes with an i5-6300hq 8 gigs of RAM, 512 gigs of M.2 SSD, and gtx 960m with 4 gigs of VRAM. The GL753 comes with an i7-6700hq, 16 gigs of RAM, a terabyte hard drive, and gtx 1050 4 gb and costs around $1050. I guess what I am really asking is, Will the performance difference between the two be significant and is it worth the $300 difference? Also, are ROG models of ASUS significantly different than the non-ROG laptops, like do they have better build quality, better cooling, and are more reliable in general? Also, just thought i should mention that the zx53vw has a rating of 4.4 while the rog 753vd has a rating of 3.3 on amazon...

Solution
Like Techy said, the more expensive the better, with $300, the performance difference will definitely be significant, especially with those specs.

The ROG is also significantly different as it's handles towards more heavy tasks such as gaming so it will have a better build quality, cooling, and will be more reliable in general.

You can't compare those ratings as those two laptops have different purposes. The ROG is rated like that because its capabilities aren't great for gaming standards. On the other hand, the ZX53VW is rated 4.4 because its capabilities are able to fulfill the standards of general use and needs.

In college (Programming), I used a laptop similar to GL753VD (recommended by the college itself). What I used was the...

MeesterYellow

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
Like Techy said, the more expensive the better, with $300, the performance difference will definitely be significant, especially with those specs.

The ROG is also significantly different as it's handles towards more heavy tasks such as gaming so it will have a better build quality, cooling, and will be more reliable in general.

You can't compare those ratings as those two laptops have different purposes. The ROG is rated like that because its capabilities aren't great for gaming standards. On the other hand, the ZX53VW is rated 4.4 because its capabilities are able to fulfill the standards of general use and needs.

In college (Programming), I used a laptop similar to GL753VD (recommended by the college itself). What I used was the ROG GL752VW (the older version): https://www.asus.com/ca-en/site/g-series/#/products/laptops/gl552-gl752

It worked really well for my purpose (programming, never gamed on it as I have my own custom built at home). The specs are similar to the one you have mentioned, it came with the 960m instead of the 1050. The 16GB of RAM will do you great if you're running VMs such as VMware, the more RAM, the better for VMs.

Solution