Question Should I buy onboard memory laptop?

himagarwal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014
Hi,

I am very much interested in buying DELL New Inspiron 15 5590 Laptop (i7-10510U). However it comes with 8GB (4Gx1 + 4G onboard), DDR4, 2666MHz.

I have two questions which I didn't find answer online.

1. What happens if onboard memory gets corrupted? Can laptop just run with another slot memory when the corrupted memory is still attached to it?

2. Can I upgrade the other slot with 16GB memory along with 4G onboard (total 20GB) and it would still be good as any other laptop having 16GB (8+8). I learnt that having same memory size on both slots is the best way to go.

I was also thinking of of DELL New Inspiron 15 7591 Laptop (i7-9750H) but came to know from reviews that it has heat issue and its adapter is quite big. However the main reason that set me off was, its around $240 more than the 5590 laptop. The only reason I wanted to go with 7591 is because it doesn't have onboard memory.

Looking for expert advice from you guys.

himagarwal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014
@HRHofAquitaine

1. All laptops have heat issues. This is false statement. It depends on processor and other configs. If you have a gaming laptop with H processor its sure to heat. If you have a laptop with U processor and good air flow, it won't it.

2. Your second point doesn't add any value to my original question.

3. Your third point again doesn't add any value.

It looks like you register a new account today and to get some privileges you are trying to answer other threads (thank you for trying to help) but it isn't helping.

MDTOP

Great
Jun 6, 2019
himagarwal,
  1. I cant find a picture that shows the computer opened up so I assume the worst case, if the on board fails it will be costly.
  2. yes, max of 20GB 1 4GB with an added 16GB * see below *
  3. Depends on what you do, When I game with my Asus it has to be plugged in or I get stuttering video and I better have a pillow on my lap unless I don't want children, otherwise it's not too hot.
As far as advice, I prefer not to give since everyone's situation is different.
For me I spend more to get the best, my belief is you usually get what you pay for.

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/inspiron-15-5590-laptop_Users-Guide_en-us.pdf