Should I buy this laptop? Opinions on Advent?

Hello RC;
I think Advent is a 'house brand' for one of the computer retailer's back in the UK.
Not sure who really makes them.

That is not a 'laptop'. It's a 'Netbook with an Atom CPU and just 1GB of RAM. LCD screen is probably 1024x600.
OK, you might consider it a very underpowered laptop with extra long battery life. But 'Netbooks aren't always suitable for general purpose laptop type requirements.

What are some online stores down there we can use to compare prices on other 'Netbooks?

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Sorry about using the wrong term, I do realise this is a netbook :)
I have just found an Acer netbook from a local store that seems to have almost the exact same specifications.
http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4d8ae04701788b2c2740c0a87f3b06ec/Product/View/XC7795
Im wanting a cheap netbook/ laptop for playing movies/music, typeing word documents etc and web browsing. Should this be sufficient?
Also its says it has an SWVGA screen, what resolution is this?
Thanks

SWVGA is 1024x600 resolution.
As far as I can tell that 'Netbook is an Advent Milano 7
Sold @ PCworld.co.uk it's being sold now for £209 or about NZD 450
It won't have a DVD player to load CD/DVD movies. It's weak CPU & graphics chip might mean stuttering HD movie playback.
It will work Ok, if slowly, for working with word processing, e-mail or web browsing. It might have trouble doing both at once.
As long as it's not stolen property (check the owners purchase receipts, etc) it's probably a fair price for a 'unused' 'Netbook with six months left under warranty (which you'd have to ship to the UK to get honored).

dfusco

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
I seems like an adequate Netbook. My only concern is it says the screen is "less than 12 inches" ???? What kind of description is that?

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
ok thanks for the info :)
Also the 'acer aspire one' netbook I linked has an Intel Atom n455 CPU. Would this be capable of doing very simple sketchup work? thanks

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Also the 'acer aspire one' netbook I linked has an Intel Atom n455 CPU. Would this be capable of doing very simple sketchup work? thanks

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
So today I bought the Acer Aspire One netbook (havnt tried sketchup yet) but one of the things Ive found with the Android OS (it has dual boot) is that it has no android market application and from the looks of it, it seems to be running 1.5 or 1.6.

So my question is, does anyone know how to install custom ROMs onto netbooks with Android so I can get a ROM based on a newer version of Android and get the Market app?
Thanks

The most recent versions of Acer Aspire D255E have Android 2.1 installed. It looks like the changeover took place some time back in Oct/Nov 2010.
Acer Aspire D255 Review
Although the limitations you mentioned - no Android Marketplace - also apply to 2.1 installed in 'Netbooks.

It does not appear that Acer is supporting an upgrade from 1.6 to 2.1 in Netbooks. Because it must use custom drivers to allow the Android OS and hardware to work together it's not likely you'll see an upgrade flash option any time soon (if ever).

It's unlikely there will be a user-replaceable drop in ROM either. Most upgrades these days are done with Flash utilities instead of ROM replacement.