Should I get a gaming laptop for college, or upgrade my current system?

Prkr5885

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Well, in August I'll be off to college for Aerospace Engineering. Lately, my current computer (Specs at bottom) has been slowly starting to die out, and I may just build a new system (new mobo, cpu, maybe ram, ect) and just get a college laptop around $700. But, my other option, is I can get a good gaming laptop (preferably under $1,500) that'll hopefully me last year 4 years in college, and maybe 4 years of gaming. I'm not looking to play everything on ultra, but rather mostly on high/medium settings, and by the end of the 4 years, I could tolerate low settings if possible.

So, long story short, do I spend my money on a gaming laptop that'll last me 4 years through college, or build a new rig and get a decent laptop for college?

CURRENT SYSTEM SPECS:
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0
GRAPHICS CARD :Sapphire AMD R9 280X (3 GB GDDR5)
CPU: AMD FX6350 3.9 GHZ 6 CORES

EDIT: This laptop is a bit above my price range, and it doesn't have a touchscreen and I'm not sure if I'll need one or not for college, but it looks good.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0161CFBEU/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0161CFBEU&linkCode=as2&tag=tcb79-20&linkId=DQ7DFHNXKCDVER4R

Solution
4 years is just too much for laptop to survive in gaming field, just build a PC that can be easily upgraded and get a laptop which does the job for you if $1400 is all you want to spend on both of them. Priority = gaming rig.

If you want I could make a pc part list for you.

Prkr5885

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

I'm comfortable with spending even up to $1400 on a new gaming rig. But, I'm just not really sure how well the laptop would hold up for 4+ years.

LionKing12

Estimable
Nov 12, 2015
4 years is just too much for laptop to survive in gaming field, just build a PC that can be easily upgraded and get a laptop which does the job for you if $1400 is all you want to spend on both of them. Priority = gaming rig.

If you want I could make a pc part list for you.

Solution

Prkr5885

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

It's been a while since I've built something, not saying that I wouldn't be able to on my own, but that'd be pretty cool.

- Just know, I prefer AMD over Nvidia due to past experiences (plus AMD is more "open-source"), so if you could try and pick AMD/INTEL. My biggest "gray area" in terms of systems are RAM and PSUs. I could just gut my case, and maybe use the same PSU. As for monitor, I'd likely need to get a new one. I'd prefer a price range of around $1500.